Preamp?

ConcreteHippo

Im looking into getting a half decent preamp for around $100-200, probably more around 200.

For the mostpart i would be recording electric guitar with a either an sm57 or a small diaphram MXL 991 that takes phantom power.

Ill be recording onto my digital 8 track with 1/4 and xlr ins.

So yea, can anybody recommend a preamp?

Guitar Center is discontinuing the Groove Tubes Brick, and selling the remaining stock somewhere around $250@.

Might be a nice match for your guitar+SM57.

littledog said:
Guitar Center is discontinuing the Groove Tubes Brick, and selling the remaining stock somewhere around $250@.

Might be a nice match for your guitar+SM57.

Completely agree, nothing better in that price range. Great Bass DI and vibey tube sound.

i checked out the groove tube, it looks like it might satisify my needs.

i would have rather something with 2 channels but if i can find the groove tube for a decent price somwehere ill try and get it.

ill have to look more into the RNP

and what is the deal with its finish? in every picture i see of it the preamp looks all dusty and gross.

You might be able to get a Used DMP3 for that Price and they are very clean and crisp sounding.....

Cheers

You might look into the Peavey PV series of mixers. They totally bury anything in their price range, IMHO, though about the only other things in their price range are Behringer, so I guess that's not saying much. :D

That said, I use them on my modded Chinese ribbon mics regularly. That says something. You can get a touch of hiss when you start approaching maximum gain. (It maxes out at a 69 dB boost, if memory serves). Remarkably clean for the price.

Their pres spec out about the same as or slightly better than the DMP3 (EIN, THD, frequency range, flatness of frequency response). If you want precise pres that don't color the signal or add much noise, they're a good choice, IMHO. As always, YMMV.

I use and recommend a dmp3 for two clean channels or a joe meek 3q for more balls and compression and eq. IMO the 3q sounds great on vox and guitars, also makes a decent bass di. I've used a lot of cheap pre's and of them all the 3q constantly gets the nod. If you really want a lot of info consider the search function, it will yield tons of info.

Thanks for the tip on the Brick, Littledog.

I'm just heading out the door to go get one. :D

Yeah baby! $273 out the door with WA sales tax.

Sounds great with the P-Bass. All the gain is in the top 20% of the knob, just like everybody said way back when.

I dug out an old XLR > 1/4" TS and jazzed the Brick into the Leslie-- very nice!

Next up is P-Bass > KLON Centaur > Brick > Leslie.

Stand back!!! :D

Line 6 UX2...Look at this and you wont consider these others...it is the end all...just too new to have made it into everybodies hands.

jonnyc said:
I use and recommend a dmp3 for two clean channels or a joe meek 3q for more balls and compression and eq. IMO the 3q sounds great on vox and guitars, also makes a decent bass di. I've used a lot of cheap pre's and of them all the 3q constantly gets the nod. If you really want a lot of info consider the search function, it will yield tons of info.

would the dmp3 be any good for bass or electric guitar becuase from what i read anout it, the preamp seems to be what im looking for and the price isnt too high.

c7sus said:
BTW, the $250 price ends TOMORROW according to the guy that rang me up.

What's this $250? I guess the GC guy felt sorry for me having to drive an hour because they didn't have it at my local GC.... Either that or it was because they had two of them and probably hadn't ever sold one at that store (Concord).

$215+tax. :D

Now if only I had an XLRF to 1/4" stereo cable to hook it up to test it. All the Rat Shacks are already closed for the night, and Fry's closes at 7 on Sundays (WTF?), so I can't get any 1/4" male ends until tomorrow (or maybe Tuesday if I'm unlucky). All because I don't want to use one of the four matched Neutrik 1/4" connectors in case I need to expand my pseudo-in-wall snake.

Grrr.

BTW, who wants to bet that the wholesale is $215 and that the stores have just been ripping us a new one all these years? :D

dgatwood said:
BTW, who wants to bet that the wholesale is $215 and that the stores have just been ripping us a new one all these years? :D

They ain't going to lose money on the sale, that's for sure!

I just put a hold on a second Brick at another location.

$199.

I'll be back at the Lynnwood store later with that receipt wanting the $50 back. :mad:

Back