Preamp Tubes, Mixing Manufacturers ok?

joswil44

Im replacing some tubes in my Ampeg VL-1002 100 Watt Head.

I ordered a matched Quad set of Ruby Tubes EL34's for $54 since I dont have much cash and need new Output Tubes to get the head back in working condition.

I am considering replacing the preamp tubes as well since they are supposed to be 10 years old and am wondering if I can mix tubes from different manufacturers?

The head uses 7 12ax7 Tubes. 5 Preamp, 1 Effects Loop, 1 Reverb.

I have 2 brand new Groove Tube 12ax7's and 4 Mesa/Boogie 12ax7's.

I dont have cash to buy new preamp tubes so I am wondering If maybe I can use the 4 Mesa 12ax7's mixed with 1 Groove Tube 12ax7 to complete the 5 Preamp Tubes Section.

Then I can use the other Groove Tube 12ax7 for the effects loop tube and I really dont care about replacing the Reverb 12ax7 tube since I really don't use the reverb anyway.

Anyone know if thats ok?

joswil44 said:
Im replacing some tubes in my Ampeg VL-1002 100 Watt Head.

I ordered a matched Quad set of Ruby Tubes EL34's for $54 since I dont have much cash and need new Output Tubes to get the head back in working condition.

I am considering replacing the preamp tubes as well since they are supposed to be 10 years old and am wondering if I can mix tubes from different manufacturers?

The head uses 7 12ax7 Tubes. 5 Preamp, 1 Effects Loop, 1 Reverb.

I have 2 brand new Groove Tube 12ax7's and 4 Mesa/Boogie 12ax7's.

I dont have cash to buy new preamp tubes so I am wondering If maybe I can use the 4 Mesa 12ax7's mixed with 1 Groove Tube 12ax7 to complete the 5 Preamp Tubes Section.

Then I can use the other Groove Tube 12ax7 for the effects loop tube and I really dont care about replacing the Reverb 12ax7 tube since I really don't use the reverb anyway.

Anyone know if thats ok?

Preamp tubes aren't in a configuration where matching is an issue, so mix away. Your amp won't care.

ggunn said:
Preamp tubes aren't in a configuration where matching is an issue, so mix away. Your amp won't care.
But: you may fine that one manufacturer's preamp tube will color the sound of the circuit it's in differently than another manufacturer's tube.

You may even find it productive to experiment with where you're placing the preamp tubes.

Yup, mix away and experiment. Beside the different 'color', you will also find that some tubes are noisier than others. You want to put the quiet ones up front. (the first tube in the circuit)

Farview said:
Yup, mix away and experiment. Beside the different 'color', you will also find that some tubes are noisier than others. You want to put the quiet ones up front. (the first tube in the circuit)

Yes, because the tubes farther on in the circuit just amplify what they are sent; noise in = even more noise out.

Back