Preamp Recommendation

Cedmo8

Hello,

I have recently bought a Behringer XM8500 for the use with webinar presentations and VoIP, I currently have the microphone connected via a balanced XLR to unbalanced TS cable into my computer sound card (Xonar STX).

However as expected it is very quite and requires the gain in windows to be set to full and Microphone Boost enabled which in turn results in a moderate hiss. I had always intended to get a preamp but would like some recommendations before making my purchase.

The only product currently on my radar is the Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 as I have heard that is is an excellent choice for a cheap preamp. It is pretty much exactly what I think I am looking for but just wanted to make sure that I am covering everything before I make a decision. for example I have seen the Behringer Xenyx Q802Usb and it seems to meet my needs as well but I don't know enough about units of its kind to properly compare it to the Scarlet 2i2.

I have listed what I am looking for below, can I please have some recommendations of products to consider, my budget is around that of the Scarlet 2i2 but lower is better I will likely be buying second hand unless I can find a relativity cheap solution.

Must:
Have USB interface
Have Phantom Power (I intend to get an AT2035 condenser shortly and would like it to be compatible)

Ideally:
Have 2 balanced mic inputs
Be Bus Powered

Thanks in advance

I'd go with the 2i2. It's a perfectly capable unit.
The behringer has unnecessary bells and whistles, unless you think you'd want faders/eq for live hands-on use?

Easy one. The 2i2 is at or near the top of everyone's recommendation list. You should hear a huge difference in quality over your present arrangement.

Just to be picky, what you're asking for is an "Audio Interface" which (in the case of the 2i2) has two built in mic pre amps. It'll allow you to completely bypass the Xonar which is really not up to anything more than gaming, Youtube and Skype.

Just get you a cheap usb interface for what you are doing, ART makes a pretty cheap preamp/usb interface. I liked the Line6 UX2 I use to have, the ux1 is pretty cheap, you could get one used for probably around 50 bucks.

As far as I know, the only two-mic ART USB interface is USB 1.1 only and relies on generic MME drivers rather than dedicated ASIO ones making latency a big potential issue.

As far as I know, the only two-mic ART USB interface is USB 1.1 only and relies on generic MME drivers rather than dedicated ASIO ones making latency a big potential issue.

Just to keep things clear (in the noob section!) usb 1.1 is not related to latency issues. The protocol is easily fast enough to give very acceptable latency for a couple of audio tracks pus MIDI.
The venerable M-Audio Fast track pro is a 1.1 device and this limits it to 16bit operation if you want ALL inputs and outputs running but if just one I/O is shut down the unit works at 24bits. It has ASIO drivers and I have used one with a very modest laptop and the MIDI latency was quite low, 128 samples IIRC.

Dave.

Thanks Dave for clarifying my rather rushed post.

No, the USB 1.1 doesn't in any way affect latency and has plenty of bandwidth for 2 channels of audio. However, it suggests to me an ageing bit of equipment and raises questions in my mind about how long it will be supported.

It's the lack of ASIO drivers that can create latency issues and, personally, I'd never even consider an MME device for any serious audio work.

Thanks Dave for clarifying my rather rushed post.

No, the USB 1.1 doesn't in any way affect latency and has plenty of bandwidth for 2 channels of audio. However, it suggests to me an ageing bit of equipment and raises questions in my mind about how long it will be supported.

It's the lack of ASIO drivers that can create latency issues and, personally, I'd never even consider an MME device for any serious audio work.

Indeed, usb 1.1 does smack of old kit. Before M-Audio were fragmented they kept up driver support with Msoft and mac OS changes very well. I have used the Pro with W7(64) without trouble. W8 might be a different kettle of sprats!

Of course, as yer know Bobbs, if you don't want ANY driver or latency problems just get a KA6!

Dave. (I have used MME drivers for multiple usb devices in Samplitude but that is another story!)

Back