preamp questions

Ember

ok, well i've been reading a lot on the forums about the ART tube mp pre's as being a POS and I own one but i've never really had much to compare it to besides stock pre's on my firebox (and truth be told I have never done that comparison). So I have two questions

1) Is it worth it to mod my art tube pre? or should I just go with this ?

2)Am I actually better off just using the firebox's stock pre's for most recording?

I've just been reading a lot about how the starved-plate design sucks and stuff and my insufficient recording knowledge hasn't helped at all. Does anyone really like the ART tube MP project series??

My first suggestion would be to stop looking at cheap tube preamps. A good tube preamp design is expensive to build.

Most of the most sought after preamps in the world are solid state. Neve, API, Trident, Great River, etc.. are solid state.

You get better quality for your money with solid state.

The 'tube warmth' thing is a myth. Warmth comes from good design and quality parts. A well designed tube preamp won't sound any warmer than a solid state one.

Well i already own an ART and I'm just simply wondering if its worth it to do the modding.

Also I have heard a lot of excellent things about the electro harmonix pre and that it holds up well with much more expensive equiptment. Anyone else testify to that?

Well i mean looking at the options I have what is my best bet? modding the ART? looking at a good solid state? using the stock firebox pre's? the electro harmonix?

I'd love to hear some examples of the differences if anyone has any already or just some advice from people who have experience with the products i'm looking at. thanks a lot for the help guys.

All of the preamps you mention are in the same ball park. But, none of them should stop you from making good recordings. I really wouldn't worry about it.

Back