Preamp question

Belvee

I just noticed the thread about preamps

question? I know what a pre amp for a power amplifier is

but on the questiom of (MIKE Pre amp )

can a STERIO MIXING CONSOLE or small Mixer be considered as a MIKE pre amp? or is a mike pre something different.

belvee

Yo BELEEV-ABLE:]

Pretty cold up your way this time of year.

Mic Preamps run from 100 pezzutos upwards to thousands of pezzutos.

One mic pre that doesn't get much discussion is the Martinsound. Martinsound makes a couple of them; one is expensive, and the other is more expensive.

These mic preamps boost the signal from the mic and via electronics give you a nice clear sound, providing you have a decent mic.

Go to a vendor up there and look at a couple of them; get a demo and then you will fully understand what they do.

Watch out for the bears when you go outside. [especially Blue Bears]

Green Hornet

Thanks for the info folks I an not sure what a PEZZUTOS IS i THAUGHT These specs was in Desibells, milli amps or MIcro Amps You learn something new avery day.

Why I ask the question is Iam using a small Realistic Mixer (RadioShack) and it have 3 mic inputs which I use with my Santa Cruiz sound card It sounds ok I get lots of output from this little box so I was just wondering If this is ok or I should buy a mic Pre amp.

I do lots of recordings, Keybord and Steel drums Its pretty clean but if a seperate pre will do a better job I dont mine getting one

By the way the weather is fine up here in toronto no snow for the year as yet Dont forget the snow cones from the US. we had a green christmas.
thanks folks

A "mic input" is a "mic preamp". The preamp amplifies the low level microphone output to line level. Very simple sounding, but just as critical to your sound as the microphone itself. If you're not happy with your sound, then new a new microphone and/or new mic preamp is probably in order (at some point anyhow). The mic pres in the radioshack mixer probably suck, but who knows, ever now and then radioshack gets something right out of sheer luck (or good outsourcing).

Slackmaster 2000

Yo Slackmaster:[2]

RadioShack may be shutting down in my home area. LOF.
{Lack of Funds} Anyway, that's what I heard.

But, you know, stereo 1/4 inch at each end are very hard to find. i bought one, not as long as I'd like, at RadioShack and it had Oxygen free copper wire and all of that other nice sounding stuff.

I plugged it in and, MAN, it was four times better than the skinny-assed cord I got from somewhere long ago.

I use the stereo plug to patch in my cans from recorder to can patch unit in my studio. In fact, the patch cord is so good, I went back the next day bought the LAST one they had in stock.

Do you have any connections for stereo 1/4 inch to stereo 1/4 inch phone plugs? [with all of that good wire and stuff]

Let me know.

Thanks,
Green Hornet

:D :D :p

Back