Preamp or Mixer?

scottfisher

Im currently in the process of buying some cheap equipment to start a little recording setup. So far, Ive thought to get the Studio Projects B3 mic (Seems to be in between B1 and C1, which most people approve of), Delta 44 soundcard, and a preamp or mixer.

That leads to my question. Mixer or preamp? At most, I will need to be recording two seperate mics at the same time, like vocal + guitar together, whatever. Overall, what is better balancing quality and price?

And once you decide on preamp or mixer, which brand?

preamp or mixer

Well, it all depends on what kind of mixer you have. If you have a good Mackie, Allen Heath, or even a Behringer compared to a $99 Blue Tubes, I'd go with the mixer preamps. A lot of the $99 preamps don't sound too good. Now that's not to say there's no good mic pres at the $99 price range, but I haven't come across one. Plus you get more than one mic pre with a mixer.

Also, you can't go wrong with an Avalon Preamp and a "Blue mic" Bluebird...

http://www.soundclick.com/beatsbuy

For about $150, you can get the 2 channel M-audio DMP3 preamp. It's a very good deal at that price and can be had for considerably less if you buy used (I got mine for <$100 on e-bay).

The Yamaha MG series and Soundcraft Spirit mixers are among the best you can find at that price. I would avoid Behringer mixers at all costs.

Back