Preamp or mixer?

colorsound

Hi, I have an 8-track cassette based recorder I like a lot (the Tascam 688) and I am looking to improve my sound as I am turning my basement into a home studio. I am planning to mostly use SM-57's and other dynamic mics placed around the room and record bands live. However, I know that I probably won't get a very good sound out of this setup using the preamps built onto the 688. Anyways, I've noticed there's two routes to go here, get a mixer vs. get a pre amp. What's the difference between an 8-channel mixer and an 8-channel preamp? I've noticed there aren't many 8-channel preamps online and the ones that are are rare and expensive. So what's a better buy, a nice mixer or a nice preamp? What is the most common route here? Thanks, and any help is greatly appreciated

I'd say it's worth spending a few hundred bucks on, maybe more if it's a truly exceptional buy. I have a feeling a preamp would be more suitable since I just want to use better preamps, wheras I don't need a second mixer. I've also never heard of mixers with tubes in em... But I just thought I'd ask because I hear a lot more people talk about their mixers then I do about preamps.

Also, will I really need an 8-channel preamp to record a live band, or do you think I would be better off letting "more dynamic" instruments, such as the drumset, be mic'd using the preamps on the 688 and just using a nice preamp for vocals and guitars? I appreciate any advice as I am fairly new to live multitrack recording, I've always recorded things one-at-a-time up until recently

Colorsound, I feel bad--nobody respondes to your question, so I will try it myself. However, I record classical music only, so I might be wrong here. My opinion is that your Tascam is a fine mashine FWIW. When I started recording I had Porta-1 4-track. Let's face it, the cassete medium, esp. 8 track is not up to the standards of time, and I think its built in mixer complements the cassette part just fine. If you want some noticable improvement in this area, you will need to switch for something more advanced, like HD recording. If you have only a few hundred $$$ to spend, I would suggest you to start with upgrading your mics. You will definitely need some LD and SD condencers. Search this site and you will find plenty of information on the topic. Trust me, you will still use your mics after your Tascam is long gone.

Actually, I used to have a digital recorder. I switched to analog because I like the sound better. My next upgrade in that department (long ways from now) will be when I get a reel-to-reel.

I am happy with the way my recordings sound, all in all, and I have one LD condensor mic. But I would be able to get more out of my SM57's if I used a nice preamp, and even the sound of the LD mic would improve. I have a relatively cheap single channel preamp (a DBX minipre) and I think all my microphones sound noticably better through it. But I can only use one mic at a time on that thing. So I need something that can do more because I am going to be live recording bands.

To top this off, if I get a nice mic preamp I will have that long after the Tascam as well. And at least my sound will be somewhat consistent when I switch mediums...

I really just want to know what's the best route to go with preamps. One of the pre-sonus 8 channel ones? Or maybe get a nice dual mic preamp and over time buy 4 of them? Or maybe just getting a good mixer by Mackie or something will supply good sounding preamps.

Please help

Back