Preamp on drums

tddrummer

Is it an excepted technique to run drums through a preamp..for instance overheads one channel...kick...snare...toms etc...Or do you just ad compression and things later on? Just asking:D

I'm not sure what you're asking. There is no other choice but to run mics through a preamp. So yes, you have to run drum mics through a preamp.

But preamps have nothing to do with compression and "things".

Do you mean something other than "preamp"?

td,
to be honest..a preamp and a compressor are 2 totally different things.
Although there are companies that sell"channel Strips" or combination Preamp/EQ/Compressors, the basic preamp is for amplifying a weak microphone or other lowlevel signal to line level.

But to get back to your question.
I would say that unless you are really experianced with compression and know EXACTLY what you want up front, I would stay away from compressing pretty much anything on the way in. Some folks will set up a compressor as a "Limiter" just for the occasional stray hit that would clip your converters, but once the egg is scrambled, you cant undo it later.

It is very easy to turn a vibrant kit into a pile of mush by putting too much compression, so be cautious with any effect you record along with any instrument be it compression, reverb, chorus...anything.

I just set my levels to be safe and "let er rip."

Is it an accepted technique to run drums through a preamp..for instance overheads one channel...kick...snare...toms etc...Or do you just add compression and things later on? Just asking:D
On the things I record on (analog and digital) pretty much anything that requires a mic requires a preamp, even if it's the on board 'trim' which I guess is the 'in house' preamp. When you set the preamp, push or hit whatever the preamp is boosting as hard as possible and gradually decrease the preamp gain until there's not even a hint of clipping. For me, whatever I add, I add after the event.

Back