preamp into a aw2816

docpaul

In my studio I have a mic preamp connected into my aw 2816. I am considering upgrading my pre, but I started to wonder if the built-in pre's on the yamaha will detract from whatever high-quality unit I buy. I currently turn down the gain as low as possible on the aw, but there still may be an effect. Does anyone know for certain about this situation? By the way, I don't think it's possible to avoid going through the pre's on the aw.

Docpaul

Head over to one of the AW4416/AW2816 forums and they'll know there.

I have an AW4416 and use external pres via the channel insert which bypasses the internal Yammie pres. If you have a channel insert on the 2816 you can do the same - it's an unbalance dconnection from the pre, and you need a TRS plug which you only insert to the first click - bit fiddly, but it works.

If you're running an external pre into a Yammie pre you're probably not gaining much quality. The old, "you're only as strong as the weakest link in the chain" analogy.

The above method is the only way to bypass the internal pres, short of an expansion card (if the 2816 has expansion slots - don't know that much about it, I'm afraid.

Cheers

Back