Preamp for overheads only.

producerkid

You know the more I listen to moder nrock albums the more I realize that alot of people are triggering acoustic drums and micing the overheads only. At least thats what it sounds like. I too have had alot of luck with drum replacement and using only the overheads in the final mix. What I want to do I think, is go ahead and spend some money now on a good two channel preamp (or even two single channels) for overheads and using triggers on the drums to trigger sounds in drumagog. Wat I want to know is what would be a good preamp for this. I'm mainly wanting nice, airy top end that breathes. I'm willing to spend somewhere around 600 bucks for either two single channels or a decent dual channel. I've been looking at the sebatron stuff for a while even though its over my head in the pricing department but I may be willing to try and get some extra dough if it means getting me the best pre for the job.

producerkid said:
You know the more I listen to moder nrock albums the more I realize that alot of people are triggering acoustic drums and micing the overheads only. At least thats what it sounds like.
thts b/c the guys who record the music have good ears and now how to treat individual tracks to sound good. so dont tell me your gonna go w/ tht assumption and steal your drummers complete dynamic control oh his/her instrument. :rolleyes:

tubesrawsom said:
thts b/c the guys who record the music have good ears and now how to treat individual tracks to sound good. so dont tell me your gonna go w/ tht assumption and steal your drummers complete dynamic control oh his/her instrument. :rolleyes:

What does it matter if his drummer has great dynamic control?
Modern Rock is so compressed that there ARE NO DYNAMICS in it; all they worry about is Track Density.

On top of that, any decent Trigger to MIDI Interface and a set of quality triggers will provide all the dynamics you need. The key is in setting up their sensitivity.

Tim

Modern Rock is so compressed that there ARE NO DYNAMICS in it; all they worry about is Track Density.

Agreed, I still think a properly mic'd kit in a good room is the heaviest fucking sound to date. Screw all this generic sounding, i drag all my hits into the grid and use replaced samples because I never actually learned to play my instrument and my producer says it will sell BS.........LMAO
Can imagine what Zeppelin would have sounded like with todays drum mixing techniques? I know I sound like im an old fart. I listen to loads of metal and im almost sick of triggered drums. Sorry for the rant.

I can relate. I'm a Bonzo fan myself, and while I do trigger the kicks _ I do it because I switched to the Heel Toe technique (I get the deathmetal kicking speed, but no volume from it.)
I still prefer the sound of big drums tuned tight, through a pair of overheads or room mic's. You can re4ally catch a true drumsound from 4" away. Put 4' to 10' between the drums and the mic's, and the drumsound gets time to fully form, and it will be bombastic if tuned right, and in the right environment.

Tim

Well...errr....umm...thanks. lol. I mean, yes, I prefer to mic and treat a full kit for recording. Thats what I do in my own tracks but for a lot of bands that want a good demo fast, I think triggering would be the best option where time isnt always a luxury.

So as far as a preamp goes, I've only heard one recommendation which is the FMR, and I have heard good things about the unit. I have an Aardvark Q10 interface. How much would I be gaining (no pun intended lol) by getting an FMR? Anymore suggestions?

producerkid said:
Well...errr....umm...thanks. lol. I mean, yes, I prefer to mic and treat a full kit for recording. Thats what I do in my own tracks but for a lot of bands that want a good demo fast, I think triggering would be the best option where time isnt always a luxury.

So as far as a preamp goes, I've only heard one recommendation which is the FMR, and I have heard good things about the unit. I have an Aardvark Q10 interface. How much would I be gaining (no pun intended lol) by getting an FMR? Anymore suggestions?

I haven't used the FMR - in fact I haven't even seen one - but I've used and loved Drawmer and Focusrite Mic pre's.

Agreed on the triggering to save time - that is unless they are using your kit and it's already set up and mic'ed so their drummer can just sit and play....but it is rarely that easy. :rolleyes:

Tim

Back