Preamp for Live Performance

ndycus1

I have a Mindprint Envoice preamp which I have been using for recording. But now I am about to start playing guitar for a new band and was wondering if it would help my live sound at all. Thank You.

By the way, this is a channel strip and includes EQ and compression. I guess I should've mentioned that earlier.

Absolutely!

You betcha that a nice channel strip will give you an improved sound in live band applications. That is, in fact, the reason I bought both of the preamp/channel strips that I currently own. I was playing in a band that had a Behringer mixer board, but really nice amps and speakers. I absolutely REFUSE to have my vocal sent through a Behringer preamp -- even in a live band setting. For awhile, I used a dbx ProVocal (digital) channel strip. It worked fine. I would spend the time at home to set up a custom preset that sounded good on my voice with my vocal mic. Then, I just sent a preamplified signal, complete with all processing that I wanted, direct to the board. All the soundman had to do was pull up the fader on my channel and fine tune the EQ a bit. This is so idiot-proof that even the most incompetent soundman couldn't screw up it up. And that's saying a LOT! :D Eventually, I decided to add two more vocal channels and upgrade my signal path at the same time. So now, in addition to the dbx unit, which provides one vocal channel, I also have two more vocal channels, which consist of a Presonus MP20 into a Lexicon MPX550. If needed, I also have Rane compressors and parametric equalizers that can be inserted into the signal path after that. Works great!

Brad

i guess i would be running from my guitar to my pedal to my pre and then to my amp which would end up being miked anyway. or am i supposed to run the microphone into the pre? and from the pre to the mixer? how exactly should i route this?

Oh, you're wanting to run you guitar throught the Envoice, huh? I apologize. I must have misunderstood your post. (I wondered why you were posting this in the guitar/bass section of the board.) I thought you were going to use it for your VOCAL channel. Well, let me back up a bit, then.

For my bass, I run a floor pedal (a Boss GT-6B, which is both my effects unit AND a preamp) direct to the board and also out to my bass amp, which serves merely as a stage monitor. I don't use any type of channel strip in the signal, since all the things I need for my bass (EQ, compression, etc...) are already provided by the GT-6B.

Whether or not this approach would work for you depends. First of all, how do you usually use the Envoice on your guitar? I assume that you use it when you record your guitar? If so, then where do you put it in the signal chain to get the best sound? What it is going to come down to is this: You will want to use the EXACT SAME SIGNAL CHAIN that you use to get the best guitar sound when you record. You wouldn't need to use the preamp (the Envoice) at all, unless it is part of "your sound." But, if the best sounding guitar signal that you can get DOES use the Envoice in some way, then you would want to have it in your signal chain at the exact same place in the signal chain. But, again, that's only if you usually do use it on your guitar. If you're not using it on your guitar, then it would probably work best as the vocal channel for whomever you have in the band that does sing, and has the best voice.

Sorry for the confusion.

Brad

Back