Preamp For Anything

justinm.

Is there a kind of pre amp that is used for everything like drums, vocals, etc.? I don't know anything about them except I'm constantly told I need one. Would things sound better if individual preamps where used for their own separate instruments? Obviously I don't know much about them.

the question is a little vague. If you have a mixer, then you have a preamp. From there, it depends on what you need out of your sound. For guitar, your preamp is the front end of your amp that gives you your sound. So if you have a decent guitar amp, you don't need a pre for the guitar. However, as with anything, it just boils down to how much you want to put into it. There are tons of rack mount pres that will warm up any sound regardless of the source. There are modeling pres and pres that will add effect processing. In the end, it is really up to you. If your signals are week and your mixer has inferior preamps, then check out getting a separate preamp.

Is there a kind of pre amp that is used for everything like drums, vocals, etc.? I don't know anything about them except I'm constantly told I need one. Would things sound better if individual preamps where used for their own separate instruments? Obviously I don't know much about them.

The best all-around preamps are as neutral sounding as possible. That means no "sonic seasoning" added to the signal passing through it. Anything touting "vintage" sound usually doesn't qualify. Guitar store tinker toys with tubes in them don't either.

Time was there were the pres on the console and that was that. The need for consoles isn't what it used to be, so there's nothing wrong with a rackmount pre, but I think I read Ronan Chris Murphy say the other day that an entire drum track used to get cut in the time it takes now to select the preamp for the snare. Do drums really sound any better now than they used to? Ignoring the '80s, not really.

Time was there were the pres on the console and that was that. The need for consoles isn't what it used to be, so there's nothing wrong with a rackmount pre, but I think I read Ronan Chris Murphy say the other day that an entire drum track used to get cut in the time it takes now to select the preamp for the snare. Do drums really sound any better now than they used to? Ignoring the '80s, not really.

In addition, most, if not all the console builders weren't going for a unique sound but were striving to obtain the cleanest signal possible from front-end to the final summing network when the eq's and other on-board processing were not engaged. Whether they achieved it or not is debatable but that was the goal. Ah, those were the days.

In addition, most, if not all the console builders weren't going for a unique sound but were striving to obtain the cleanest signal possible from front-end to the final summing network when the eq's and other on-board processing were not engaged. Whether they achieved it or not is debatable but that was the goal. Ah, those were the days.

Yup... that vintage sound that a lot of people are looking for today, those same engineers toiled endlessly to alleviate. Their failure resulted in their success

Yup... that vintage sound that a lot of people are looking for today, those same engineers toiled endlessly to alleviate. Their failure resulted in their success

Those thinking that "vintage equipment" is the key to success never will understand that the success was mostly due to what was being recorded and who was producing/engineering rather than the gear itself.

Those thinking that "vintage equipment" is the key to success never will understand that the success was mostly due to what was being recorded and who was producing/engineering rather than the gear itself.

The "vintage" stuff was all they had. No one cared until now about it. The "vintage" of the future will be things like Autotune. Whatever is used to make recordings today will be sought after by the generation that grew up with today's recordings. Tape will go away for good and Pro Tools will be collectable.

Well...I'd like to warm up the sound, and make it sound stronger. I don't have a lot of equipment and as I've said I don't know much about pres. Do you need a different pre for each instrument, and then a separate one for vocals as well? Sorry if this is a dumb question...I really don't know.

What is an effects processor used for in regards to a pre amp? Yes I'm a newbie, but I didn't want to post there since I was hoping for replies by more experienced users.

Well...I'd like to warm up the sound, and make it sound stronger. I don't have a lot of equipment and as I've said I don't know much about pres. Do you need a different pre for each instrument, and then a separate one for vocals as well? Sorry if this is a dumb question...I really don't know.

What is an effects processor used for in regards to a pre amp? Yes I'm a newbie, but I didn't want to post there since I was hoping for replies by more experienced users.

You need a different pre when you record multiple tracks at once. If it is 1 track you can use the same one for everything but some pres sound better for different instruments or voice. For example, I like API preamps for drums because they feel more airy to my ears, for guitars I like neve pres. The effect processor adds an effect to the signal going through the preamp, such as putting a flange on guitar. Not a dumb question at all.

not a dumb question at all.
i realized how cool having a preamp is, by coming to this forum.

tried the recommended dmp3 and a RNC, and it blew away the stock ones I had in the unit. it was no small change either...very noticeable in a good way.

imo it took adding the RNC to give it the extra "wow" factor.

there's things called channel strips you might want to look at too. I have one and its frkn great for a small HR setup. like taking one really nice strip from a high end mixer, i think thats the concept.

effects is another thing.

not a dumb question at all.
i realized how cool having a preamp is, by coming to this forum.

tried the recommended dmp3 and a RNC, and it blew away the stock ones I had in the unit. it was no small change either...very noticeable in a good way.

imo it took adding the RNC to give it the extra "wow" factor.

FYI (& anyone else reading) I am an authorized FMR Audio, among others, dealer. Mentioned only because the RNC came into the conversaton.

Thanks for your replies. Does the API that you use for okay for vocals, or do you just like it for drums? I record drums with 1 dynamic mic from 1994 plugged right into my Tascam. I've got some money to purchase equipment but I've put it off since I don't know what to get. I'd like to get a pre that sounds good for everything. Any suggestions from anyone?

I don't think it's a dumb question, but when you ask these things at your local music store and get looked at and treated like a moron by the workers who were bestowed with this knowledge at birth, it can make you self-conscious.

I kinda miss tape as well.

I don't think it's a dumb question, but when you ask these things at your local music store and get looked at and treated like a moron by the workers who were bestowed with this knowledge at birth, it can make you self-conscious.
I guarantee that if you spend just three months here, searching, reading, posting... you'll walk into the same store and be flashing them that same look... It's mostly smoke and mirrors... catch phrases with no backing knowledge, once you know your stuff... you won't believe the lines they're selling.

I try to bite my tongue every time I overhear someone getting some "advice" from these guys, then sidle on over afterward to set them straight.

Back