Preamp for acoustic instruments: guitar, mandolin, bass, grand piano

ALBERTPIKE

My small condenser mics: AKG 460c and AKG 480c (these are basically the same, I think)
My large condenser mic: AT 4033
My current preamp: Mackie mixer with VLZ; 1 ART tube mp; Spirit folio lite

Any comments on above?
Suggestions for a stereo preamp that will compliment these mics for acoustic intruments? Tube vs solid state? How much to spend to hear a difference from the Mackies?

Thanks

Last edited:
you could get the FMR RNP for about $500. If you want a big step up you'll be spending closer to 1k per channel.

Thanks, Tex. I'm new to the forum, and now I see that some variant of this question is being discussed very intensively in many different threads. Still, interested to know what you all have learned.

Usually stereo mic'ing involves using two of the exact same type of mics, although anything is possible if you like the results. You may want to try to get a true stereo pair of mics.

AKG C 460/480

littledog said:
Usually stereo mic'ing involves using two of the exact same type of mics, although anything is possible if you like the results. You may want to try to get a true stereo pair of mics.
Each of these mics is equipped with the same cardoid condenser capsule, the CK 61-ULS. These mics can use different capsules with different polar patterns. The 480 is a newer version of the 460, but the capsule and specs are the same. These are very expensive SD condensers, but I got them used for a nice price. They are in a different class than the Mackie and ART preamps, though my acoustic guitar recordings through the Mackies sound very good. Anyone else use these?

Back