preamp comparison

tsl92802

Hey guys, I don't know how many of you guys have actually tried both of these, but I'm looking to get a nice tube preamp, and the two I'm most interested in are The Brick and The Robbie. I love the 737...but out of my price range. Infact, so is the Robbie, but I'd scrape it together if it's worth it. Now, I'm aware it's up to my ears, but I wouldn't mind a little guidence. This will be almost exclusively for heavy rock vocals (singing, and screaming). I have an AudioTechnica 4050 as my main vocal mic (sounds great with the singer). I'm pretty much dead set on a tube preamp too. I've used an Avalon M5, and I felt it was too cold for the singer. Any other suggestions are welcome but 1k is my ABSOLUTE limit. Thanks guys!

i have a sebatron valve preamp that is very versatle . perfect for vocals when i used with a good condensor. this one is my favorite for getting a smoothy sound . a single chnnel is great two channels even better becasue you can drive one channel into the second channel and control color and gain . sometimes i'm running a full mix through the DI to get that valve sound. if you want the best out of your microphones get the best preamp you can get. it wll be worth the extra money n the results.

The Brick is getting some very positive user reviews, and what a great price.

I have a Seb and love it, and you can get two channels for around $1,000.

Haven't heard much about the Robbie, but I predict that in a couple of years you will be able to buy one for $500 - $600.

Got to triple play the Seb. Build quality is great and the versatility is wonderful. The Brick also sounds excellent and you could get two for your money as well as a used 4033 or sumthin else. They are not really 'rack-friendly'....and they only have the one extra nice sound.

If you can try out the brick with your singer and mic, that would be best. I think it's a great pre for not much $ and would probably be great for rock vocals, as it has a "large" sound.

Back