preamp cables with FET

Hey, that's a clever idea. I wonder if it might address the issue of an electric guitar's tone loosing high end when you back the volume down? As I understand it, as the pickup is turned down, it sees the impeadance load of the tone control that in turn kills some of the highs.
Wayne

You can do that inside the guitar Mixsit.

I have this guitar mods book and shows what I believe, if memory serves, a Schecter design where you put a resister in parallel to the tone cap in the guitar wiring.

I forget wich value resistor they use but I used it on my guitar for a while.
The only thing about it was that my volume was no longer smooth ....it would increase only a little up to about 6 or 7 and then jump up to 8....so I removed it.

But I had heavily modified the guitar and was not positive that this was the sole contributor to this.......although it did go back to normal after I removed it.

I will check in my book when I get home from work as to what they used.

-mike

mixsit said:
Hey, that's a clever idea. I wonder if it might address the issue of an electric guitar's tone loosing high end when you back the volume down? As I understand it, as the pickup is turned down, it sees the impeadance load of the tone control that in turn kills some of the highs.
Wayne

I don't think it would solve that problem because the pre-amp is POST volume control and not PRE volume control.

Sounds like a great idea, but the more I thought about it, what would be the purpose? Why not use an active DI? Or external pre-amp? Those give you more control and less hassle than the cable would.

It would help eliminate noise and radio frequency interference created by the cable. High impedance sources like guitars are more susceptible to cable noise than low impedance sources. Otherwise, I can't think of any other advantages.

It would probably cost at minimum of $100 for someone to build this for you. I really don't think it's worth it. But, if you must have it, I'll do it for $200.;)

Thomas

http://barefootsound.com

Back