Preamp Advice: SCA n72 vs. Sebatron vs. ISA 428 vs. Sytek

grifops

Hey, I don't really post much, but I've been floating around for a while.. Some of you guys might end up seeing this same post on some of the other boards. Some boards tend to lean towards specific products, which I am sure most of have noticed. (recording.org - sebatron) (gearslutz.com - sytek)...

Anyway, I play in a reggae influenced band outta buffalo, NY. I've been doing the band's latest recordings in our home studio, (Mackie Board, MOTU A/D Converter, Soundcraft Compact 4, various mics, etc....)

I need to get some decent preamps come February. For the last month or so I have been sold on getting 4 n72s from Seventh Circle Audio (Assembly not an issue, electrical engineering background)..

But over the last couple weeks the Sebatron VMP-4000e has been catching my eye, as well as the Focusrite ISA 428 and the Sytek 4 channel.

The sound I am going for could be described as LUSH, CREAMY, ORGANIC, yet AGGRESSIVE! err... I am not into the ultra clear modern sterile digital pop sound...

Ideally I would be recording to 1" tape, but that is not an option...

You can hear some poorly compressed examples of our music here:

http://www.myspace.com/theops

The first two recordings were done in our home studio (they have some issues, I know, specifically in the bass region, but look past that) look at the style, listen to the singer, let me know.

This is one of my favorite bands in the world. I think they have some of the best sounding recordings out there (for this genre).. I want to move more towards this sound than the recordings we have...

http://www.epitaph.com/artists/album/466/

Look on the left side of the page, there is a little player under the record cover art, song is called 86 The Mayo..

Any help or advice you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated!

-grif

''The sound I am going for could be described as LUSH, CREAMY, ORGANIC, yet AGGRESSIVE! err... I am not into the ultra clear modern sterile digital pop sound''
Well it sounds like you would really like the Sebatron.Great on Guitars, bass and anything else you run thru it.

Check out the A-Designs MP-1 or MP-2. Similar to the Sebatron in that it's a tube pre-amp. I have never used the Sebatron so I can't comment on the differences, but I love my MP-2 - I havn't found anything it doesn't work extremely well on.

mikey@thecave said:
Well it sounds like you would really like the Sebatron.Great on Guitars, bass and anything else you run thru it.

...says a recording.org regular, thus proving the original poster's statement.

IMNSHO, "lush, creamy, organic, yet aggressive" is going to be about 95% attributable to the source, 4.999% attributable to the mic and 0.001% attributable to the mic pre you use. In other words, you can get that with any of the pres you listed (or fail to get it with any of the pres you listed). Conversely, none of them will give you an "ultra clear modern sterile digital pop sound", unless you want them to.

Personally, I would prefer something a little on the more honest and less colored side for my primary utility pres. You can always muck it up after the fact, but you can never un-muck it. Given that, I think the Sytek is the best deal out of any of those you listed. And I've never posted to Gearslutz in my life! :D

I like my N72s quite a bit, but I almost like their cheaper, cleaner, uncolored C84s better. I think for rock, the N72s are the logical choice, though.

I have a Sebatron, and I think it is a great preamp. I wouldn't mind owning a Sytek either. But if assembly is not an isssue, you should be looking real hard at the Seventh Circle stuff and also the Hamptone pres. I've read a lot about both, and they are very highly regarded by almost everyone who has used or heard them.

I'm eying an assembled Hamptone HJFP2 ($850) as my next pre. But $550 for two channels (unassembled) is a scary good deal.

The HVTP2 kit is $699 unassembled.

So you need four channels, eh?

Listening to the description of what you're wanting I was was thinking Phoenix Audio DRS-2.

I don't think I'd call anything you're looking at as lush, creamy or organic.

I'd suggest looking into the Hamptone HJFP2. You can build four channels for under $1,000. I'd say it's got organic.

Sebatron

The Sebatron is exactly what you described. Creamy, organic, but with a punch. I have owned both the Sytek and Sebatron units for about 8 years now. Sytek is very clean. Sebatron has the color and character you want.

Back