• I liked preamp A best.

Votes: 37 30.3%
  • I liked preamp B best.

Votes: 52 42.6%
  • I couldn't tell the difference.

Votes: 33 27.0%

• Total voters
rory said:
You're not going to get 100 votes, after 3 days you don't even have 30. What would Freud say about your withholding? Your momma didn't give you what you wanted when you were younger ;) ;) ?

Never studied Freud he was mostly full of shit was he not?

OK wtf? I listened to the last second and the only thing(s) I noticed were the hiss and the actual quick-fade at the end... did I miss something?

I listened to neither clip but voted for 1 of the 3 choices. The song was played too fast, and you could have picked a better color for the ceiling. Your mom dresses you funny and you paid too much for both of those pres each of which need cleaned and don't sound very good anyway. Ohh and turn off your coffee pot. :D

steve.h said:
OK wtf? I listened to the last second and the only thing(s) I noticed were the hiss and the actual quick-fade at the end... did I miss something?

I think it's something to do with the hiss.

HangDawg said:
I listened to neither clip but voted for 1 of the 3 choices. The song was played too fast, and you could have picked a better color for the ceiling. Your mom dresses you funny and you paid too much for both of those pres each of which need cleaned and don't sound very good anyway. Ohh and turn off your coffee pot. :D

Are you just saying random things to be awkward?

The distance between capsules of my MSH pair measures just over 3/4" when side by side, capsule center to center. In my own experimenting with mike positioning I've heard differences with as little as 3/4" change in placement when 10" from the gtr, especially at the neck/body joint since lobes can be so well defined in that area. That itself could amount to as much difference as the difference between the pre's here. Assuming they are different pre's. ;)

I tried my MSH's with pre's of varying quality and the difference was very small. It's not a mike that seems to need a particular type of pre to sound good.

Timothy Lawler said:
The distance between capsules of my MSH pair measures just over 3/4" when side by side, capsule center to center. In my own experimenting with mike positioning I've heard differences with as little as 3/4" change in placement when 10" from the gtr, especially at the neck/body joint since lobes can be so well defined in that area. That itself could amount to as much difference as the difference between the pre's here. Assuming they are different pre's. ;)

I tried my MSH's with pre's of varying quality and the difference was very small. It's not a mike that seems to need a particular type of pre to sound good.

Guess we'll never know cause mystery boy here won't let on. 100 votes! What a clown.

rory said:
How do you study experimental psychology without studying freud!?

Freud didn't really do experiments he just kinda made stuff up so he's not mentioned that much really.

HangDawg said:
Guess we'll never know cause mystery boy here won't let on. 100 votes! What a clown.
You lazy bastards! Hell, I created 8 usernames just to vote for my favorite preamp. Looks like I've got to make a few more to catch up with preamp 2.

Barn Owl said:
Are you just saying random things to be awkward?

Yesnomaybe

Are you witholding the answer to this just to be awkward? The results are already screwed so why don't you just make with the answer.

Barn Owl said:
Freud didn't really do experiments he just kinda made stuff up so he's not mentioned that much really.

I call bullshit. Experiments are based on theories. You CANT go through psychology without learning the underlying theories that drive the experiements. Unless the program is bad. Hes like Marx in sociology. They might be outdated in their original forms, but many contemporary theories and experiments are derived from the original theories. But, truth be told, he DID perform many experiments. Hypnosis, cocaine, boundaries, etc. The main argument is that his experiements were not "scientific" and more qualitative than quantitative. Regardless, its impossible to study any type of psychology without studying Freud in academia.

My wife has her undergraduate degree in experimental psych, and Freud was only included in her program in an introductory course. He's more clinical than experimental.

HangDawg said:

If it's invalid why would you want to know?

I'm not trying to be mysterious but there would be no point in a blind test if I told you what was what straight away.

I hoped home recorders (myself included) could learn something from this test.

Maybe that was naive. Maybe mshilarious could explain why the test is invalid and we can learn something through that.

steve.h said:

Yes, the hiss. But don't listen to it, analyze it. The noise from the capsule very closely approximates white noise at high frequencies. However, both noise samples have been subjected to brickwall-type low pass filtration within the audio band, which is typical of mp3 encoding when the signal drops below a threshold, both in amplitude and frequency.

This would not normally be a problem in a comparative analysis if the effect were consistent, but in this case the corner frequency is different by 3kHz between the samples. I do not know if that is solely caused by vagaries of mp3 encoding, or if the encoding was simply doubling down on the frequency response of that particular preamp.

So while I can clearly hear a difference between the two files, I cannot conclude that it is solely caused by the preamps.

I am not averse to making judgments based on mp3s, but the samples have to be well controlled. On the other hand, if a 20 second wav won't do the job, then neither will a 2 minute mp3.

Pre-amp B I thought was "fuller", crisper, brittle? (not in a bad way) on the high end.
Pre-amp A had a warmer?, mellow tone albeit somewhat less defined. Both were recorded well and sounded good and didn't sound all that different. Depending on the song application, either could be used effectively, it wasn't like one sucked or was way better than the other, although I'd give the edge to B in this one.

Experiments often stem from hypotheses, not theories. A theory that hasn't been tested or backed up by observation is not a theory.

I'm not voting, either. Normalising would cover up valuable differences in the preamps, if they were, in fact, different.

Craig

Back