Pre with "sweepable"/adjustable input impedance

BookSix

I'm looking for information on adjusting the input impedance on my new ART DPS II. I was thinking I'd just adjust it to match the output impedance of any particular mic I was using, but the manual makes it sound like I can use other impedances other than the mics output impedance to change the sound of my signal by driving the mic more.

Also, how do I know what to set it to for line level signals such as keyboards and instruments?

BTW: The input impedance on the pre is sweepable from 150 to 3k. Thanks

I'd get a passive DI box for the line level signals and match your preamp's impedance to the output impedance of the DI.

Effectively it's going to be a kind of tone control. Play around with it and see what you like.

I would guess the instrument input bypasses that control.

Yeah, you're right. The front input is always equal to or greater than 1M Ohm, but I still have line level signals coming in the back cause that's the input I have on my patch bay...maybe I need to work around that.

Anyway, still..with mics... Is there a danger of damage due to wrong input impedance. And what's a good starting point when adjusting it? The mic's output impedance? Thanks

BookSix said:
Yeah, you're right. The front input is always equal to or greater than 1M Ohm, but I still have line level signals coming in the back cause that's the input I have on my patch bay...maybe I need to work around that.

No the line impedance should be fixed at something like 10K ohms. Again, I doubt that control affects the line input.

Anyway, still..with mics... Is there a danger of damage due to wrong input impedance. And what's a good starting point when adjusting it? The mic's output impedance? Thanks

At the extreme low end, some mics might sound like poo. A good starting point would be about 10x mic impedance, or 1.5K for many mics.

Yeah, I said the line input is fixed, but it is 1M ohms like I said. That straight from the manufacturer.

Anyway, 10x output impedance..I'll give it a try. Thanks

Back