pre-gain inserts?

lascalaboy

I recently got an M-Audio quattro which has 4 inputs.. and I had assumed I could take the inserts on the 4 mic inputs on my almost as recent mixer into these inputs.. but alas.. I discovered they are pre-gain inserts! Is this normal?

I managed to get around the issue by panning ch1 left and ch2 right and plugging left mixer out into quattro in1 and right mixer out into quattro in2 , then sending ch3 pre-fader to aux 2 and patching aux2 to quattro in3 and ch4 the same with aux3.. so I can still get 4 independant and simultatneous channels going in to my pc... phew...

lascalaboy said:
I recently got an M-Audio quattro which has 4 inputs.. and I had assumed I could take the inserts on the 4 mic inputs on my almost as recent mixer into these inputs.. but alas.. I discovered they are pre-gain inserts! Is this normal?

I managed to get around the issue by panning ch1 left and ch2 right and plugging left mixer out into quattro in1 and right mixer out into quattro in2 , then sending ch3 pre-fader to aux 2 and patching aux2 to quattro in3 and ch4 the same with aux3.. so I can still get 4 independant and simultatneous channels going in to my pc... phew...

Pre gain inserts is strange but pre fader inserts are normal.

that;s what I thought... I was assuming, when I bought the mixer that i'd be able to take the inserts straight to my sound card and do four tracks at once - simple... but on. Anyway, at least I can still do it, albeit in a long way.

what kind of mixer is it so we can tell everyone not to buy one.

Are you saying that if you plug a mic into the mixer the insert is at mic level and not line level, that would be useless. you couldn't put a comperessor or anything else in it.

I'm pretty sure the manual says pre-gain inserts.

It's an Etek 1223 (without effects unit). I bought it for AU$120 on ebay brand new. It's cheap and it feels cheap, but the sound is very good considering the price, and that's what I wanted. Apart from this, it's a great little unit for a begginner like me!

just plug a mic into it and hook the insert up to your card. record yourself talking while you are turning the gain/trim control. Remember that you only plug into the insert half way.

I can't imagine a pre gain insert, it would defeat the purpose.

I'll try it again... when I get home...
I just checked on their website manual and it is always described as pre-gain...

why the heck would they bother making that?

The faders are cool.. but perhaps I should have saved another $60 and gone for the Alto S-8..?

Back