Pre-Count lead in for a Tascam 2488

surjer

How do you enable a pre-count for say like 2 or 4 measures leading into recording? I have searched this manual but i must be search impared. I would like to be able to hit record, and then have it click off 4 measures before it actually starts recording. I will post a link to my manual in case you might be SO polite as to point me in the right direction. Sorry to ask such a beginner question. I have been doing all my tracking on the computer and just recently scored the tascam. (well, i while back but this is only my first real project with it)

Crap - i cant post a link due to being too new.. Suppose i should post whore it up? lol

tascam DOT com/content/downloads/products/353/2488_manual.pdf

I'm not home and don't use my 2488any more, so I can't remember the steps, but you can definitely set a pre-roll of up to9.9 seconds, if I'm not mistaken.

Off the top of my head, I think you have to go: MENU>PREFERNCES>RECORDER>PRE-ROLL.

But don't quote me on that.

RAMI, Thanks for the response, I did setup the pre-roll but it didn't do anything. from the manual it appears this function is for when you are using "Auto-Punch" or something like that. I'm still searching for this answer so if you come across an anwer i would be greatful. Current work around was to just output my base tempo track with a 4 measure lead in. Then output the waves from the tascam into my daw and set the start time 4 measures in..

I usually just use the internal metronome and use that for the count off. It will always be in sync with your tracks. Simple yet effective. Have you tried that?

RAMI, Thanks for the response, I did setup the pre-roll but it didn't do anything. from the manual it appears this function is for when you are using "Auto-Punch" or something like that. I'm still searching for this answer so if you come across an anwer i would be greatful. Current work around was to just output my base tempo track with a 4 measure lead in. Then output the waves from the tascam into my daw and set the start time 4 measures in..
Weel, the only reason to use the pre-roll would be for auto-punching. Set your IN and OUT points, press PLAY and RECORD at the same time, and record. You'll have the pre-roll of whatever length you want so you can record your part.

Maybe I didn't understand your question, but it seems that's what you want to do, no?

I'm not home and don't use my 2488any more, so I can't remember the steps, but you can definitely set a pre-roll of up to9.9 seconds, if I'm not mistaken.

Off the top of my head, I think you have to go: MENU>PREFERNCES>RECORDER>PRE-ROLL.

But don't quote me on that.

That's exactly it. I just checked it on mine. Although I don't use that function, those are the steps you need to get there.

So i have not been using the In-Outs yet. Just simply starting recordings from the very beginning. The reason i want a pre-roll is if my tracks start on the downbeat of measure 1 i would like a couple measures of the metronome to get me on time before it starts actually recording. (Or some time to run and get behind the drum set).

So i have not been using the In-Outs yet. Just simply starting recordings from the very beginning. The reason i want a pre-roll is if my tracks start on the downbeat of measure 1 i would like a couple measures of the metronome to get me on time before it starts actually recording. (Or some time to run and get behind the drum set).
If you want a pre-roll at the beginning of the song, just add 1, 2, or 4 blank bars at the beginning of the song. You can cut them out later.

Thanks RAMI, Thats the way I ended up doing it but most of the computer based DAW's i have used have a pre-count lead in but i suppose it makes more sense to just add the extra bars up front...

Back