pre amps

fishkiller

Ok, you $2000. What would you get? Avalon,joe meek,focusrite. one channel or what. I'm undecided. I would like to get the most bang for the buck and would like to get aleast 2 channel maybe more. What would you do?

FK

Please tell us what you already have in preamps, what mic or mics you plan to use with it, and what types of music you usually record. With that information, I'll be happy to give you some of the biased, wrong-headed, ignorant advice i am famous for! :D

wow, lucky you to have $2000 to spend on a mic preamp. What are you doing in "home recording"? Few of us have the exoerience with these preamps, but I do know the Avalon can be a pretty good bet. Generally once you get into that price range you're going to have a sweet preamp no matter what. It just becomes a choice of the tone (if any) that you want from the preamp.

Buzz MA2.

You get the visceral upfront immediacy of API, the density of neve, and the smooth *open* top end of great river.

I would like to check out the manley but, were do you get your hands or ears on one. I'm in the SF bay area. As for equipment.
I have a blue, rode nt1&2, akg 414 and afew others. As for pres I just got rid of my mackie 32-8 and got the vm7200. which has alright pres, better than mackie if you ask me. I do have a art mp
and joe meek the small one. As for the money I've been at this recording stuff for about six + years and have done pretty decent in the past 3 years. I'm now in the process of down sizing and getting out of the reording biz. just want to do my own stuff and a few in between. I just wanted to see what you all had to say. Right now I'm thinking avalon but I'm in no hurry. Any other ideas.........

peace FK

Crane Song rockz!

I use a Crane Song Flaming (the only REAL piece of gear in my studio ;) ). I got it for $2,400, but it's stereo and emulates vintage gear quite nicely. The only problem is it is so damn high-fidelity, you need to be careful that your studio is *dead quiet* while recording. You pick up EVERYTHING.

But that's kinda the way it is with all really nice pre's. Good luck!

Back