Pre-amps, playing direct, and effects software

Artist Unknown

Ok, I have been reading "Home Recording for Musicians for Dummies" and I think I'm getting this all down. Still a bit fuzzy on a few things here....

1. The book stresses that pre-amps are very important to my sound. I looked for pre-amps on zzounds....I didn't find any. I found mic pre-amps. Is this what I want? I'm not using it just for mics....are there non-mic pre-amps somewhere out there that would work better for recording my guitar?

2. Ok. So I have my guitar plugged into direct box --> pre-amp --> delta 1010. Then my distortion comes from software effects? Is this a good way to record my guitar and get a good tone? Do any of these software effects compare to micing an amp? Which effects software would be a good choice? (my price range is up to a thousand, but I would spend 2,000 for software that could give me pro sounding distortion, clean channels, delay, etc.)

Thanks to anyone who can help.

(1) Yes, they mean microphone preamps. Basically, to bring a signal from mic level to line level. Some are dead simple with a gain control, others are complex boxes with a myriad of controls from EQ to compression, limiting and some offer effects (although they tend to sound crappy).

(2) Most would agree that there's no substitute for a mic in front of a speaker instead of going direct with a guitar signal. There are "all in one" software plugs, but if you're going direct, I'd suggest something along the lines of a Pod or Pod Pro. Usually more effective in getting a "decent" tone right off the bat, and at least you can just jam through it. OR run it into power amp / speaker cabinet - Then throw a mic in front of it.

If you want "pro sounding" stuff, be sure that you don't skimp on monitoring - That and the room are the most important part in the chain.

Artist Unknown said:
1. The book stresses that pre-amps are very important to my sound. I looked for pre-amps on zzounds....I didn't find any. I found mic pre-amps. Is this what I want? I'm not using it just for mics....are there non-mic pre-amps somewhere out there that would work better for recording my guitar?

Preamps are very critical, but so are microphones and especially digital converters (if recording to digital).

Many preamps can accept line level and instrument level signals in addition to microphone. An example would be the Focusrite ISA 428.

Artist Unknown said:
2. Ok. So I have my guitar plugged into direct box --> pre-amp --> delta 1010. Then my distortion comes from software effects? Is this a good way to record my guitar and get a good tone? Do any of these software effects compare to micing an amp? Which effects software would be a good choice? (my price range is up to a thousand, but I would spend 2,000 for software that could give me pro sounding distortion, clean channels, delay, etc.)

DI devices sound a bit nicer through a good preamp, but nothing can beat mic'ing a real tube amplifer that is cranked in a good room.

Thanks for the help so far. I liked the idea of running the guitar --> direct box --> pre-amp --> soundcard --> soft effects --> power amp --> speaker cabinet --> mic --> pre-amp --> back into computer soundcard to be recorded. It seems like it would be very versatile and cost effective, but how about the sound quality? Think I'd be happy with it?

from a different perspective....get back to the basics.....guitar, distortion pedal, amp, mike, mixer, ect. i find keeping it simple gets the best results sometimes if you have not found a happy medium

There are sounds you can get with a modeler that you can't get with an amp, and vice versa. What you haven't told us is the style of music--that will dictate whether or not you really want to use a modeler.

In any case I find I really have to work the settings on the modeler to get a good sound, but I also find that's true on every effect--don't rely on presets, rather use them as a starting point.

I also like to use a tube preamp in front of the modeler.

Okay, here's my two cents. Preamps are good and you need one. Now for the guitar. I started out direct recording my guitar straight through the preamp and using software effects. Then I started direct recording my Marshall amp with the emulated line out. That worked better. Finally I started micing the amp with an SM57 and that was best. It takes a lot more work and playing around with the settings but the results are worth it. If you want pro quality guitar sound I say mic the amp. If you really want to blow 2 grand, buy a small to medium size amp (one speaker is easiest to mic and I've heard "size doesn't matter") then go get yourself a Dragonfly mic. I've heard that they sound REALLY realistic. And for 700 or 800 bucks I hope it does. Have fun.

Back