Pre Amp

jamaaljay

Just wanted to throw a question out there.

Plan on using a Tube Pre which will be in the chain as follows (mic>tub Pre>compressor>mBox)

Any suggestions on a good Pre and what sort of level readings should I be looking at from my pre to begin recording into protools.

Thanks,

J.John

Search....read....search...read more....then ask a question.....with the said, it is impossible to answer......there are so many diffrent things to take into account....cost, what you are recording, personal taste, etc.....

jamaaljay said:
what sort of level readings should I be looking at from my pre to begin recording into protools.

Thanks,

J.John

It depends a little on whether you are recording at 24bit or 16bit. In 16bit, I would try to get you max peaks around pretty close to 0 dB without clipping, then dial down another -3-6dB or so to give yourself a little room. On 24bit, it doesn't matter as much, just try to get a good level in that's well above the noise floor.
Make sure you are gain staging correctly, and that no intermediate steps in you recording chain are clipping either.
You'll have to be more specific on your budget, needs, preferences when it comes to preamps.

Oh trust I've been reading as much as possible, and I'm learning quite a bit from you guys.

So here goes,

I'm looking to spend about 200 on a pre Amp, and a guy at the guitar center suggested a compressor for about 129.

As far as what I'm recording, well mostly R&B and Rap, but A good level for all genres will help, b/c I produce it all.

And you mentioned the Intermediate chains, well where should I start in the chain with monitoring clips. And I know the best way is experience, but I just want to gain as much knowledge on the topic as I can before I start recording folks.

Thanks Guys,

Most compressors at that price point are pure crap. Exception would be the FRM RNC (Real Nice Compressor), which, iirc, goes for about $175.

Asides from the rnc, I would rather skip a compressor at this point and get a decent pre.

fraserhutch said:
Most compressors at that price point are pure crap. Exception would be the FRM RNC (Real Nice Compressor), which, iirc, goes for about $175.

Asides from the rnc, I would rather skip a compressor at this point and get a decent pre.

I agree, in this price range it's probably best to leave the compression "in the box." A couple of the plugs that come with Protools LE are pretty decent. If you compress after tracking, you can always undo it if you overcompress or don't like the settings. compression on the way in is permanent.
Also, for 200, you aren't going to get a pre that is going to outperform the Mbox ones. Different flavor maybe, but it'd be a move sideways. If you haven't bought a mic yet, I would recommend dumping the 200 you set aside for the pre into the mic fund and get something a little nicer. Check out the GT66, it'll give you the "tube" flavor with the Mbox solid-state pre's. keep your recording chain as simple as possible...

Dude,

This is great advice. I appreciate it man. People will try to sell you anything at the store. So What price range would give me a good preamp.

I did some research and I came across the Dollar analogy where bad tube preamps have too much space around there sounds and it will only allow you to fit a min. amount of clear sounds into your mix.

What is a good pre?

:cool: Yo Jama:

The Grace Design 101 is now selling at around 500 or so, maybe a tad less.

For the money, it is a very decent mic pre.

For some reviews and comments about mic-pres, get a sub to Tape-OP; it's a free publication and you can locate them on the net to sign up. I enjoy their reviews and usually have more than a dozen mic pres either advertised or evaluated or both in each issue.

I run my mic [for vocals and overdubbing] into the RNC. The RNC has a button to push that gives you a great setting for most anything--and, you can adjust the dials to tweak or just dial up your own settings. Great buy for the money, around 175 new.

Check out Grace Design on the net for their latest models in case the 101 is not what you want.

Green Hornet :D

Yo Jama:

I can't quite remember WHERE I bought the RNC; however, if you punch in Real Nice Compressor on the net, you'll get a bunch of vendors who handle the product; I SURE that the new price will be right around 175 pezzutos.

It's a good buy.

I'll look and see if I still have the receipt for my RNC. But, Full Compass usually gives the lowest price; not always, but usually.

:D Yo "It must be JAMA cause jelly don't shake like that: ;) :eek:

Would you believe I still have the receipt for the RNC.

I bought it at Humbucker Music
751 Battlefield Pkwy
Ft. Oglethorpe GA 30742

Got it in 2004

I'm sure you can find them on the net but their phone #is: 706-858-MUSIC

I believe I bought from them because they waived the shipping charge on the unit. Hey, a buck is a buck. :cool:

But, check the major vendors and see what the current price is; I've seen the price mentioned several times on this site and it is always about 175 new.

Used gear? I wouldn't trust it.

Cheers,

Back