Pre amp??

brtaln1

I have purchased a MXL condenser mic and I am running it through a Behringer Pre amp and compresser. The signal is boosted alright, but I can not seem to tune it to get a more "Natural sound". Any suggestions would be helpful. Maybe I am not use to the condenser mic sound but???

Thanks

Blue Bear Sound said:
Well... Behringer and MXL comments aside... what is it that you're hearing that sounds unnatural to you??

Back off the mic..maybe 6" to a 1'..This is a guess,because you state that you are not used to the sound of condensers..so my guess is that you are right up on it,like a dynamic, a 57 at the tonsiles LOL..If not let us know what you mean {Natural sound}..Good luck

Don

Condensers do sound a little weird by themselves. Try using eq on it and using the sound in a mix. any vocal sounds a little funny just by its self.

Blue Bear Sound said:
Well... what is it that you're hearing that sounds unnatural to you??

I think Blue Bear makes a great point, which has not been answered. Btw, which MXL mic are you using?

PersonalJesus said:
Condensers do sound a little weird by themselves. Try using eq on it and using the sound in a mix. any vocal sounds a little funny just by its self.
What kind of weird-ass condensers are you using??? :confused:

And I don't recommend using EQ on a mic'd source except as a last resort. Use mic selection/placement first before reaching for the EQ knobs.......

Um, by weird, I mean most people do not listen to songs with just a vocal track recorded thats not in a mix. I mean until you mix a bunch of songs you can really know whether you source sounds good or where it is average or what becuase you dont have a frame of reference.

Well, Blue Bear Sound your tips are not very helpful. "Track it right in the first place" means nothing unless your explaining to someone how to. Thats like asking "how do I do this?" and you saying "you just do." Not helpful. Why dont you give some pointers on how to track it right in the first place since you have so many comments to make.

PersonalJesus said:
"Track it right in the first place" means nothing unless your explaining to someone how to.
What part of "Use mic selection/placement first before reaching for the EQ knobs......." did you not understand????????

If the words are too big for you, sound them out slowly...........

How's that for HELPFUL.........?

:rolleyes:

Well,

Comments certainly fly while away.

The mic I have purchased to use is a MARSHALL MXL990 CARDIOID COND MIC. Maybe I'm just not use to how sensitive it was going to be compared to the 57.

What are you recording?
What type of instrument?
Vocals?
Grand Piano?
Harp?
Sax?
Scremin'-meme-dirty-gritty over distorted guitar?
What?

I like the 990 for some purposes but it's far from "natural." It has a lot of responmse in the high end that can be VERY shrill. I only use them for vocals if the vocalist really needs the topend boost or if the rest of the mix is so dense in the midrange that you need that high end to cut through.

I have gotten really food use out of these as a room mic. I think they really shine there. You may nee to boost below 80hZ because they start to drop off but we've done some good impromptu recordings of practice and with a little compression and eq they were REALLY good all things in perspective.

Back