Pre-AMP yes or no or...

cvalona

Hello, I currently have 4 drum mics and a mic on my acoustic bass connected to my Tascam M2600 MkII 24 channel analog mixer.

My question is: Would there be an advantage in having the drum mics and acoustic bass mic connected to a multi-channel pre-AMP and then out of the pre-amp and into the mixer ?

The pre-amps on my Tascam M2600 MkII aren't all that bad, but since I'm so new at all of this, I was wondering if there would be something to gain by incorporating an external multi-channel pre-AMP into my set-up ?

Yes, I'm on a pretty tight budget so buying a really expensive pre-AMP is probably not an option for me.

MOTU has an 8 channel pre-AMP, but I was told that it sums all the channels to a left and a right output which is not what I'm looking for.

HELP

peace & kindness, charles

Unless you're talking about high-end preamps (and as you say, you aren't,) I would save your money and stick with your board pres.

I gotta admit I have three mixers, a Tascam, a Allen and Heath, and a Mackie and I prefer external pres to all three miers, Usally these days I use an Event emp-1 but I also prefer an RNP and I even prefer a dmp3 to my internal mixer pres. Im starting to wonder has technoligy improved so rapidly that even budget pres are an improvement over old premium mixers. The difference to my ears isnt night and day and the mixer pres are not bad but the Event pre is cleaner, quiet, and just a little bigger more present than mixer pres. Even the dmp3 preamp is more detailed. And this applies to all three mixers. If I want color or want EQ i still go through the mixer but otherwise I stick with external pres plugged directly into my 16 track. Id Like to hear what other are experienceing with analog tape and external pres.

I have a Tascam 2600-32 and find the preamps ok but nothing to get excited about. If you go with outboard preamps, make certain they are demonstratively better than those in the console and route the outboard units in through the line ins or accessory receives. Be aware that unless they changed the MkII version, your board's xlr inputs and outputs are pin 3 hot.

I plug my external pres directly into my 16 track. Maybe thats part of the difference Im hearing.

That's usually what I do because it's the cleanest route but if either eq or the ability to ride the gain is needed, I'll patch through the console.

That's usually what I do because it's the cleanest route but if either eq or the ability to ride the gain is needed, I'll patch through the console.

What external pres do you use. Mine as I stated above are nothing special but to varying degree they sound better than my old mixers which were all highly prized in their day. Im just wondering has technology moved so fast that low end is really better now than what most people consider pro level not so long ago.

My 1st unit was custom built (6-channels worth) from the Deanne Jensen design book: Dual 5532 op-amps and Jensen input transformers. I've since added an original design Great River MP-4, (4 channels) 6-channels from an old SpectraSonics console, a Great River ME-1NV, and an RNP.

I would not agree that the low end mic pre's are as good as older "pro" gear but my definition of "pro" runs to the API, SpectraSonics, MCI, Neve, etc., side of things. My TASCAM board is very good but the mic inputs are most definitely the weak links - the very weak links compared to my outboard units.

I have to agree with you. I even prefer my dmp3 most times to the mixer pres. my favorite though is an discontinued pre by event electronics called emp-1. Its clear but just bigger and more present sounding than my mixer pres. Have you ever heard or heard of the event emp-1. I have 2 of them I bought at fle market prices and Im glad I discovered them.

I have to agree with you. I even prefer my dmp3 most times to the mixer pres. my favorite though is an discontinued pre by event electronics called emp-1. Its clear but just bigger and more present sounding than my mixer pres. Have you ever heard or heard of the event emp-1. I have 2 of them I bought at fle market prices and Im glad I discovered them.

Heard of but no experience with them.

Back