Pre-amp questions

bucchild said:
rigid fiberglass???

Treatment for my tracking and control room. Kind of like Auralex foam but way better. Like I said, if you can't hear what your doing, how can you make any decisions on what mic, placement, and eq? It's like painting in the dark, turn on the lights and it's gonna look like shit.

This is definitely something I can look into. I've read articles about people recording vocals in a shower stall, and even tried it before. I can try several different rooms.

Are you familiar with the VM-3100 Pro? On the pre-amp end does it seem capable of producing decent vocals? That's really a serious question I haven't really gotten any feedback on.

What should I do about EQ? I have a feeling my approach is all wrong. If I'm notmistaken, boosting around the 10kHz range is supposed to add clarity. Then there's often a problem with ess sounds. I read to run this trough my sidechain on my comp and try to de-ess by limiting the frequencies around 6-8 kHz. What's a good foundation for lower and mid-ranges? If it sounds muddy and muffled, I probably have too much low end, right?

Are you familliar with "sweeping" your EQ to find problem frequencies? If not, here's how you do it:

Set your EQ to a large (narrow) Q setting. If you don't have Q control, don't worry about it. Boost the EQ about 10 db. Now SLOWLY turn the frequency knob. Either start low and move high or start high and move low. Doesn't matter. When you come to the frequency setting where the mud (or silibance or whatever you're looking to eliminate) sounds the WORST, then you've found your problem frequency. Leave the frequency setting where it is, and change the 10 db boost into a cut. Cut only as much as you need to make the problem (mud or whatever) go away. This is also a good time to widen your Q if needed.

vestast, you're starting to come through for me, even though it's basically just links to blue bear articles....they're still very helpful, thanks.

Chibi Nappa, I was not familiar with sweeping the EQ before now, thanks, I will definitely have to try that.

On another note, I just learned more about my VM-3100 Pro's built-in EQ. I was under the impression that I had to shelf the EQ's. I found out that I can EQ much better than I had previously thought (even though it will be a very tedious task).

I'm not really sure what the card that came in the computer is. I put in a pci card because that's what connects the VM-3100 to the computer. I would assume the Roland card should be pretty decent, why?

oh ok.....I doubt it's in the card....everything but vocals sounds good....I just suck at vocals right now....I think I have a hard time with my own voice because I want to hide my insecurities rather than show off my strong points. I think a good EQ foundation will fix a lot of my problem, and then when I get around to buying monitors, I'll be able to pinpoint everything so that it sounds right.

oh ok.....I doubt it's in the card....everything but vocals sounds good....I just suck at vocals right now....I think I have a hard time with my own voice because I want to hide my insecurities rather than show off my strong points. I think a good EQ foundation will fix a lot of my problem, and then when I get around to buying monitors, I'll be able to pinpoint everything so that it sounds right.

Back