Pre-amp and 60hz hum

joehempel

I've done a bit of searching and am trying to figure out if it's my line or the unit.

I've got one of those ART Tube MP Studio....that's going back...the test in the store made it sound great, got it home and there is a buzz...sounds like a ground loop but there is no ground to the plug.

My Zoom R16 has phantom power and a pre amp, but was looking for something just a tad better, there is kind of a high noise floor that I can only do so much with. I was hoping even a cheapo pre amp would help me out with a stronger signal to the mixer.

I don't get the buzz with the Zoom, but I DID get the buzz with the Alesis USB iPod mxier that I had over a year ago.

Any thoughts? I'm not looking to re-invent the profession, just get a touch of a stronger signal.

Thanks!

You're kind of looking for problems doubling up on a preamp into the mixer... are you using a line input on the Zoom? And make sure that the mixer and pre share the same power outlet...

Could be gain staging or just the noise spec on the zoom...

There are only two inputs that have phantom power on the board. I wasn't plugged into them...but I did try Line and XLR, also tried just plugging the out into the amp and got the same thing.

If you can turn the plug on the art around then plug it into the wall ...if one of the legs are to big find an old ground lift that has two thin legs on it (hard to find) then turn it around and plug into the wall.

:cool:

Thanks for the tip! It didn't work though....and the zoom doesn't have a ground...I did try using just batteries and that didn't work either. :confused:

Oh well, I'll just use the money to get a little bit better mic and that might help some. I've been using one small diaphragm condenser, I think I'm going to throw an LDC in to the mix and see where that gets me.

Then it has to be the Art, right ?,,,,for it's the only thing that you have done differently. Bring it back for a return.

:cool:

I've had the issue with an Alesis Mixer that had phantom power as well, but that was over a year ago. I did take the unit back though. Not going to worry about it right now, will just use the money so that I have an LDC Mic and a SDC mic to try and do some stereo recordings.

Back