Practice Room Layout

Yareek

Hello,

I'm looking for advice on how to best set up a practice room. Right now, my band is playing in my basement, which is kind of long and narrow. I know the room is not optimal (especially since half the walls are unfinished fiberglass and the other half are painted concrete brick), but I'd still like to see if I can do something better.

I'm having serious issues with nobody able to hear anybody else, and lots of vocal mic feedback.

Right now, I've got the drums on one end, guitar amps on the other, and a pair of floor monitors in the middle, against the wall, pointed in either direction. I'm thinking of moving the two guitar amps next to the drums, crossfiring into the room, and moving the monitors next to the guitar amps.

How would you set it up?

Thanks!

We had this same problem...

...with a slightly better shaped room, but it was a concrete basement, and it was alive as shit. We found that as soon as all everything was facing the same way (except the PA), it rocked much harder. Set up like you're on stage playing to the other half of the basement and your PA is a monitor speaker in the null of your vocal mic.

Okay, that sounds pretty similar to my idea. I'll give that a shot and see how things work out.

Any other ideas?

Back