powering monitors

Assuming they are unpowered monitors, yes you can do this (if you meant, will it work).

However, it is probably defeating the purpose of having studio monitors in the first place, since the amp will likely "color" the sound.

I am going to a studio to mix and master my finished recordings. I am renting some monitors to simply do a little premixing on my own before I go into the studio. By using studio monitors and my home stereo amplifier, I'm hoping this will give me a more true sound than my regular speakers. Will my amp color the sound the same as it does with my regular speakers?

Depends. I suspect that most decent stereo receivers these days are pretty clean and clear. Your plan certainly will be an improvement over the typical home speakers.

If you're renting the monitors anyway, why not just rent powered monitors and eliminate the question.

If this is not feasible for some reason, then as AlChuck said, your plan would be an improvement over trying to mix on your stereo system or computer speakers.

Back