Power

I've got an Art tube mp studio and liked it for the money but lost my adapter. I bought an art tube mp (no opl or meter) and noticed the power supply was 1000ma. The pamphlet said it needed 700ma. To me, 300ma seems like a pretty big differential. I'm assuming that it's okay but just checking. Also would it be okay to use the power supply with the mp studio (which has a 800ma power requirement)? On a side note of interest, why the heck would the studio require more current if it has 10db less gain to it?

If the voltage, polarity and the connector of the power supply matches the equipment, then it doesn't matter if the power supply is rated for higher current. Current is taken, not forced; if your preamp only wants 800ma then a power supply capable of 1000ma will deliver 800ma without a problem. Example: an iPod doesn't want or use the 20A of current your cigarette-lighter is capable of delivering/fused for, rather it only takes what it asks for, which is far less. There's only a problem if the equipment wants more than the power supply can give.

About all that will happen is the power supply will get hot to the touch. So don't leave it plugged in.

Back