Power Metal again (Updated Version)

Docaroo

Hi Guys, you might remember I posted the 1st draft of this song before (see here)

Well, i've done another version, tried to incorporate all the advice I was given - which was a great help! I'm sure there's more things to be done, but I cadly need some more ears to give it a once over.

Listen here: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=479390

It's the top song on the list, Fortress.

Once again, all your comments are greatly appreciated and very helpful!

Thanks,
Stuart

I don't think I caught this one the first time you posted. The vocals seem to be buried and a little on the muddy side. If there is a bass I can't hear it on my Event 20/20s. I think you could probably bring the guitars back a db or two and that would help balance out the vocs and the drums a little better. There are a few pitchy spots where the vocs start following the keys torwards the end. I would attempt a retrack since the focal point of most PM is the vocals.
Otherwise its pretty cool for standard power metal. Reminds me of earlier Blind Guardian or Lost Horizon. Hope this helps.

Docaroo
The vox are too far up - sounds like you're trying to sell it to radio.
Lyrically it's like Hawkwind turned godsquad.
Musically it fast but there's no weight to it - no crunch - no oldfashioned tube amp burn.
The riff sounds like an old bit of Thin Lizzy.
Cheers
rayC

Last edited:
Hey dude,
I got your PM and came strait here. Unfortunately I comment on a lot of songs so I don't remember the original version so I'll comment this like I've never heard it. As previously stated, I'm not hearing any bass either. Vocalist is not hitting some of the large jumps at 4:19 to 4:33, it may be a bit out of his range. The vocals are luckily not too dry, but something is a bit off on the verb on them in my opinion, sounds kind of like the verb setting it trying to emulate a large hallway too much. What mic did you use for the vocals, they sound a bit mid range heavy lacking highs. Snare drum is cool and not too dry, but its also not kicking my ass if you know what I mean. I like my snare drum sound wet, but still "in your face". With no other words to describe it, I guess just make the snare brag. Also there is not enough separation in this mix to make room for the vocals. After only 3 listens I don't have much else to say, besides that this is actually really great work.

Good luck,

Ben

This has potential, no doubt about that, just needs more bass and a fatter snare sound and I think some subtle use of keys would go a long way to add to the epicness - some great riffing and vocal lines - defo feeling the Dragonforce vibe

the riff at 3.30 is awesome

Back