power chords zip tied together... bad?

jho1986

I just got done building a big portable rack for mobile recording and so far all ive hooked up are all of the power boxes for all of my rack units. I wanted to conserve space so i went ahead and zip tied basically all of the cables together. I have two thick wads of cables all clumped together and i was wondering if this is a bad thing to do. Am i going to have any problems with ground loops? I was assuming before i did this that as long as i kept all of the audio cables seperate from the power cables that i would be ok. Is this the case?

thanks for any help!!

I don't know if its bad or not. I don't think it is.

But I'm curious why you asked this AFTER you did it?

you shouldn't have any problems. As long as the jacketing on the cables is not stressed in a major way or you are really bending a cable in a way it does not want to go. This is pretty standard practice. As far as ground loops are concerned, that would only result if the pieces in your rack end up plugged into different circuits with different grounds. If you have a rackmount power supply that everything is plugged into you should be ok. Also just make sure the weight of the cables in your bundle do not put any undo stress on input and output jacks on the gear. the best way to do this is to tie them into the side of the case someway so that you are not directly pulling on the i/o of the gear

Back