power chords zip tied together... bad

jho1986

I just got done building a big portable rack for mobile recording and so far all ive hooked up are all of the power boxes for all of my rack units. I wanted to conserve space so i went ahead and zip tied basically all of the cables together. I have two thick wads of cables all clumped together and i was wondering if this is a bad thing to do. Am i going to have any problems with ground loops? I was assuming before i did this that as long as i kept all of the audio cables seperate from the power cables that i would be ok. Is this the case?

thanks for any help!!

Having power cables in proximity cannot physically cause ground loops. Nor should it cause an issue due to radiated noise.

However, when you say 'wadded', that concerns me a little more. While not a large effect, if you have the power cables 'looped' up to save space, that can cause it to act similarly to a weak electromagnet.

Many power cables together and looped up could potentially cause issues.

Bryan

i agree with the electromagnet theory; i've built a few.

stranded wire isnt the best for magnets though.

it might possibly get a little warm (?) if its ALOT of cables.

$ .02

godd info and from wildwood of all places....sorry im in belleville... there's a chance of someinduction problems with the coiled up idea.... what i do is cut the power cables to lenght.... tie them together and run audio down one side and power down the other....

dementedchord said:
godd info and from wildwood of all places....sorry im in belleville... there's a chance of someinduction problems with the coiled up idea.... what i do is cut the power cables to lenght.... tie them together and run audio down one side and power down the other....
STL, represent...... and yea you should be just fine

Power CORDS!

When I read the title, I had to ask myself..."How do you tie power chords together with zip tie? Is that so you don't miss the note?"

Yeah, it's been a long morning.

Back