Power and Patch Bay

aaronmcoleman

The truth is out there!
Silly questions,

but I am about to start putting my equipment in a rack instead of on the floor, on the desk, in the closet, all over the house.

What should I look for in a power supply and a patch bay. It's basically going to be my interface, preamps, and misc stuff on trays. Probably 6-8 power cables total. I want a patchbay so I'm not always having to crawl around on the ground to reroute stuff.

Thanks!

There are a bunch of rackmount power units out there, which generally have 8 (or sometimes more) outlets. I have a couple, which I chose with the simple old-fashioned "the cheapest one that looks okay" method. Unless the "stuff on trays" includes some hairdriers or baseboard heaters, the load of the stuff you're hooking up should be easily handled by any unit that's not defective.

You might want to pay more than the minimum for (i) individual switches for each outlet, though as you describe what you're hooking up that doesn't sound very useful (one of mine has these, and I don't know that I really paid much more for that feature), (ii) a slide-out light, if that's something that would be useful to you, (iii) a voltage meter, if you're worried about confirming you're getting the right voltage out or you just like lights or (iv) more elaborate assurances that the unit will deliver precisely the correct voltage, if that makes you happy.

As for patch-bays, a few things to think about is how much you value:
- Cost (for the unit, and for patch-cables).
- Having balanced connections (i.e. three-connector jacks, rather than just 2).
- Ease of connecting equipment and moving around what's connected to what patch-point.
- Flexibility and ease of changing normalling.
- Sturdiness.
- Having lots of points in one bay.
- Looking really "pro."

These considerations, of course, fight with one another.

Just two examples:

The Behringer 24-point TS bay
- is really cheap itself, and you can use it with ordinary 1/4" TS phone cables that are available everywhere and you probably already have.
- does not have balanced jacks, so anything you run through it that would otherwise be balanced won't be anymore.
- is very easy to set up and change around, as it has ordinary 1/4" TS jacks in back, as well as the front.
- is very flexible in terms of normalling, with multiple settings that can be changed point-by-point with slider switches (if the points are on printed circuit boards, this can only be done with unbalanced connections).
- isn't very sturdy.
- has enough points for a small set-up, but someone with a lot of equipment will wind up needing several of them.
- is sneer-worthy in terms of "pro-ness" (just for the Behringer logo alone)

A real pro unit with longframe telephone jacks or TT jacks:
- might cost 10 or 20 times as much as the Behringer, and requires special patchcords that aren't super-available and tend to be pricy.
- will keep all your balanced lines balanced.
- to set-up or change, requires some actual work (if it's soldered in back) or some fooling around with a special tool (if it has punchdowns in back).
- might or might not be flexibile in terms of normalling, depending on the design (expensive ones may be pretty flexible, though not that easy to change).
- is super-sturdy.
- has tons of points if it uses TTs.
- will immediately make it look like you know what you're doing, enabling you to charge $200/hour to use your studio.

There are various variations in between, e.g. the relatively cheap units with flippable cards that have balanced connections, but aren't that flexible in terms of normalling, and are probably less sturdy than the Behringer.

Don't skimp on the patchbay(s)...I suggest and ADC or something close in quality. You will get years of use and the contacts will stay solid. All those PCB/plastic jacks are SHIT. Get all metal bays/jacks.
I use TT/Bantam bays as I have a lot of stuff wired in, but 1/4" is OK if you don't have a gazillion points to wire and want to keep things compact AFA rack space.

For mics/preamp inouts...I prefer the separate XLR bay, and I wire the preamp output and any line inputs on my TT bays...that way the inputs to the preamp are not open to any ground related issues one might encounter from all the other gear...but if you wire it clean and keep things properly grounded...you could use a TT or 1/4" bay for mics...thing is, you then need conversion cables going form XLR to TT or 1/4"...so I like the separate XLR bay for mics/preamps.

Some people like to normal a lot of things...which is OK if you are tight on patch bay points...I run most of my non-normalled for about 90% of the points, and I just use patch cables as needed to tie things together.

One additional note on the "pro" units: while new ones cost a fortune, there are a fair number of used ones running around that go for a (relative) song.

wow, $500-700 for a patch bay! I may work up to that one day, but for now I think I'll stick with something cheaper. Thanks for the advice, I'm not just ignoring it, and I fully understand your point. I think I"m going to look for a reasonable XLR bay first since pres are my main thing right now.

Thanks!

I've purchased brand new TT/Bantam ADC patchbays on eBay for less than $125 each...just gotta look and wait for the right deal.

Here you go...a bunch of used ones, though most in real good condition, and with the punch-down kind, you don't need to de-solder old wires, but you do need a special tool for doing the connections.

There are many more...just search "ADC" in the Musical Instrument section on eBay. Not sure if you are after TT/Bantam or 1/4" type. I got lucky one time and found a guy who had a bunch of older but new ones...I bought 4 from him for about $85 each plus shipping. I wish I bought a few more, he had a bunch, he even included about a dozen "dual" TT patch cables with each one. The other couple I purchased before that, I didn't pay more than $125 each.

ADC 48 POINT PPA3-18MKIINO PATCHBAY - eBay (item 190503568341 end time Apr-19-11 12:35:37 PDT)

48PT HINGED Military ADC Patch Bay TRS AUDIO Balanced - eBay (item 280630017695 end time Apr-15-11 00:21:41 PDT)

48 POINT ADC PATCHBAY - eBay (item 200569028149 end time Apr-24-11 17:06:37 PDT)

ADC PUNCHDOWN AUDIO PATCH PANEL BANTAM 96 POINT 2X48 - eBay (item 350409701868 end time Mar-31-11 12:45:43 PDT)

Adc Ppa3-14mkII - eBay (item 150583238209 end time Apr-03-11 10:04:42 PDT)

ADC 48point Longframe Bal. Audio Patchbay - eBay (item 150583235841 end time Apr-03-11 09:59:45 PDT)

Back