Power amp for 20/20's

Shreadzilla

Hello brothers,sisters & beloved colleagues, please forgive me if this is the improper forum for this question...
Also, I tried using the search function to no avail
I've decided on a pair of 20/20 passives @ Guitar Center, now the question is, Would a hafler 1600 which is 75 watts per channel be sufficient ?, or would that be a bit anemic?
The 20/20's are rated @ 150 watts per channel I believe.
Any help would be most welcome.
peace,
Shredzilla

Let them hook you up a pair to the TA1600 and hear for yourself...i think its enuff....opinion only......

i have a TA1100 and its a clean little amp......

Hey thanks guys, from what I understand, i would want more power because the usable range would ideally have more clean headroom? i.e pushing a lower wattage amp to get volume could result in distortion.
Gidge, how loud do you push em man & how does it sound? do you like them?, I live in an apartment & would'nt ever really CRANK, but I definately would'nt want distortion.
Hmmm.. maybe I'll just get the 1600 & give it a go, & if it seems too distorted, I could trade em in for more power,
I have to wait until next thursday anyway[ damn G.C in S.L.C NEVER has the shit I want in stock:mad: ].
thanks guys,
Shred

My SONY receiver has only 65W a side and I can't even get it cranked half way without the events getting too loud.
75W would be fine.

BTW, I run the 20/20's with a little amp that does 50W per channel into 4ohms and I do get distortion at high volumes...really hard on the ears and probably not good for the monitors. My amp isn't a studio amp though.

Slackmaster 2000

Hey thanks Doc & Slack.
Nice link Slack, I think I'll do as stated & give the 1600 a shot.
Doc your post makes me think that it'll probably work cuz I'm not going to be crankin these things up too much anyway.
Give me about a week & I'll report back.
Thanks everybody
peace,
Shred

I have a TA1600 driving KRK Rokits (75 watts), and I agree with Gidge that it will handle the 20/20s just fine. Of course, if I could afford a P1500 or 3000, that's what I'd have.

Actually, when I auditioned the Rokits at GC, they had both the Rokits and 20/20s hooked up to a TA1600, and we cranked them both (Steely Dan Aja) and they both sounded fantastic to me. I only chose the Rokits because the Events were just too big for my space.

You probably wont be cranking it up much (bad for mixing)...but i have cranked it to uncomfortably loud levels without getting any nasties, so i cant forsee you having any problems with the 1600....and if you do (small chance), you have 30 days to bring them back, no questions asked......

O. k , I finally got the monitors , and I must say " very nice"
I've been going back & re-listening to alot of stuff, and I'm astounded by the detail, etc.
I've noticed that my pod sounds have a new life to them, a kind of silky "sizzle" to the overdriven tones etc.:)
I am not sure that I'm running them in the most efficient manner as far as listening to c.d's through them, let me explain:
I have the 2020's hooked up to a hafler ta1600, which, for my purposes is perfect, I can get extremely loud without noticeable distortion.
The signal chain is as follows:
input> mackie 1402 vlz, delta 44, computer.
I also have the original turtle beach montego sound card installed, I use it for windows sounds, games,etc.
this is fine, but my real question/problem is that I initially attempted to use winamp to play c.d's through the delta card,/2020's & not the montego, no go, [ I'm not sure I had the right plugin?]
now I know the c.d drive in my computer doesn't have a physical cable to a sound card other than the montego, but I 've heard that there is a way to use a plugin to do this?, or perhaps windows media player?
anyway, [ sorry I 'm drunk & rambling on]
the solution that I came up with is to route a signal from the c.d drives headphone output [using a stereo 1/8th miniplug] to a stereo channel on the 1402.
How bad does this degrade the signal? it seems to sound o.k, but I don't know how much noise is added due to the signal path though the mackie.[which would be the same path if winamp used the delta cards outputs]
Would it be better to try the winamp/windows media player thing?,
and if so, could some brave soul walk me through the process?
I tried every combination of the winamp plugins in/out settings with my windows mutimedia settings,i'e primary sound driver as the default etc. I couldn't even get winamp to play an mp3 through any other card than the montego, AARRGGHHH
finally could some kind, sober, moderator please put this post in the proper forum,lol
free beer to any one who helps me find THE solution[ trick proposition]
peace,
Shredzilla

Keep in mind that the 20/20's are 4 ohm and only moderately efficient.

With that in mind, the quality of the amp should be of greater importance than with efficient 8 ohm monitors. In other words, if you're planning on going cheap on the amp or using a hifi receiver for any length of time, you may want to consider different monitors.

To find a good amp to pair with 4 ohm monitors, look for a 4 ohm power rating that's at least 150% of the 8 ohm wattage.

Hafler Hafler Hafler Hafler Hafler Hafler Hafler Hafler Hafler Hafler Hafler Hafler Hafler Hafler Hafler Hafler Hafler Hafler Hafler Hafler Hafler Hafler Hafler Hafler Hafler Hafler Hafler

Dude,

Hafler

Just figured I'd chime in and say I have a cheap 'Technics' 4 ohm reciever ($150 U.S.) hooked up to my 20/20's.......It seems to work o.k...

But now that I'm thinking about it.........my mixes need a lot of work.......so I'm gonna shut up now...

my 2 cents........probably worth less than that.....

Hafler Transnova P-3000

This is the amp I use and it is more than enough. It is a very good amp though if you are at a home studio you may consider a little less power as I am not using much. Still better to have than not. Peter

Back