"PowderFlanger"

chrisharris said:
(so of course, I recorded this tonight, lol).

Congrats on being the first to post Chris, but we all know damn well you've been sitting there with your finger on the button waiting for 3/5 so you could post that thing!

I like your interpretation Chris, matter of fact, you guys would make a good team!

Twist

Hey Chris,
Nice job man. My copy of Pfingers tune is at home so i cant compare, but this sounds nice. I was just listening to a Mellencamp tune on the radio yesterday. He did have kind of a cool wall of percussion thing going on didnt he. You just need a little tamborine in this:).
Nice vocs for sure. I guess you took out the offensive bg vocs mentioned above ....cause they sound solid to me.
....I'll hit this again from home this weekend.
Nice stuff bro, g

Sounds great Chris!
Fine vocals indeed.

You sang it differant than usual,dosn't really sound like you.
Where's the twang man!
I need the twang!:D

Acoustics sound really good,and I dig the bass,very full and warm.

It's cool doing a cover don't you think?
Really takes the pressure off and lets you be creative.
Wish I had time to do one!

Great job,thanks for sharing it,
Pete

giddy'up! nice job. enjoyed immensly. nice snare sample. good song writing, pull-my... errrr.. powderfinger.

nice song chris....who wrote it?.......oops...:D

so.......for my official critique.......

-you are a no talent ass clown......

kidding, kidding.......it sounds awesome....

- i really like the new intro bass lick you added......i'll have to steal that

- that snare sounds great and the beat carries it well.........i'll have to steal that too:D

- great singing.....nice new harmonies

- the electric guitars are very cool

....very classy take on my song. you're a very talented guy, and it's hard to express in words the feeling you get when you hear someone else sing your song so well.......i'm sure you will be able to relate many times over, as it appears to be a board requirement to do a Chris Harris song for the challenge :D

thanks man, great mix

Drew

Very nice Chris............you are a talented and funny guy; I'm glad I get to hear your work.

I went and listened to the original and I like the way you've made this your own, yet stayed true to the feeling of the original. I really liked Powder's congas; but your sparse drum part works really good. I'd like to hear one of those big cavernous 'verbs on the snare because the snare pops are so far apart; it would give the 'verb time to decay and not muddy up the next hit. Just an idea, not a critisism.

This is gonna be a cool week.....too bad I didn't have time to play. :(
But I'll make it up in April. ;)

Couldn't of picked a better song Chris, I loved this one the first time I heard it. Great song powderfinger, and you did a jam up job on this C/H.

had a listen...and first thoughts..very nice. getting called to supper...so I'll be back. Want to hear the original again too... cya later...

Re: Re: "PowderFlanger"

twist said:

RE: CHRIS RECORDED THIS LAST NIGHT

we all know damn well you've been sitting there with your finger on the button waiting for 3/5 so you could post that thing!
LOL...if you have any doubts, take a close listen to some of those "fills"...well, most of them really. The timing's pretty "loose," a.k.a., "sloppy"... but I couldn't turn up the amp after 10 b/c it's in my bedroom...and I like being married. All the electric parts were recorded from 9 to 9:30, lol...I call it a "live vibe." :D :D

Since most of you still have to record covers, I'll just say:

Flash2Ace
Sluice
Guernica
Mixmkr
Erichenryus
Twist
David
Lt.Bob
JR#97
muzeman

"thanks for listening," and thanks to Drew for letting me do this.

If anybody else tries it, I'd be interested to know if you find it as difficult as I did. It's one thing to do a cover of a popular song, but it's TOTALLY weirder doing one that the artist is going to hear. I usually don't really "think" about how a tune is going to sound...I just start recording and let it evolve. I've gone out and rented a cello for one day before, lol. But with this, I found it almost impossible to do that...I had to actually think...I know it doesn't show on this song, but I went through a TON of percussion ideas before I settled for what's on here... Okay, I'm rambling...

ALL I'M SAYING IS, IF YOU HAVEN'T TRIED COVERING SOMEBODY ELSE'S TUNE, TRY IT... I didn't vote for this challenge, but I'm glad this is the one that prevailed. Fun stuff.

Thanks again,
Chris

Thats a very good presentation of that tune. I like the instruments and the singing. You got that Texas in it... I was sittin here listening thinking how that song would sound really cool in a big room or outside through a nice Class 1 sound sytem, the guitar and beat is is big for that, and gettin the open air in it would be awesome too..

You guys...... damn, one day when I grow up I`m gonna be ..... :)

sounds great!

your vocals pass for a mid 20 yr old :) I think your older though..

nice tune powderfinger and great remake chris.. fine job

listened to the original then your's.................that is all.

this is so freakin COOL!!!!!! this cover thing is the greatest thing ever! (said tiny tim). great version Chris, i'm not worthy. You did not do powder wrong with this!! cool song great cover, I really wish the offending bgv's were in here!!!!!:mad: ;) so i could bitch about something. I'm diggin this cover thing hard! i'm out of gush:D

Thank's chris!........your a brave man powder:D

Peace

Rick

I'm at work listening with headphones, so take this for what it's worth. I'll check it out again tonight when I get home. I also need to check out the original.

Oh man, that lead guitar has got to go ..... LOL ..... just kidding. Very tasteful. Everyone else is "breakin' your balls", so I figured I'd join the foray.

As always, your vocals sound great ... they sit just right .... damn you ... LOL. Is that you doing the high harmony at the end of the bridge?

The acoustic guitars (Qty-2 right?) seem to be fighting each other - need a little tightening.

Finally, IMO, I'm finding that the shaker, acoustic strings and electric guitar distortion are making the mix seem "noisy". I'd try dropping the shaker. Also, I agree with Guernica that a tamborine may be in order. Again, all IMO.

BPOCO

That is fantastic! Great harmonies. Love the phase shifter on the guitar. You need a longer fade.:D

Nicely done sir. I have Powderfinger's original saved in my keepers folder and burned to CD with a bunch of other folks stuff from here (including some of yours ;)). You did a nice job with this. Has quite a different feel to it than the original. A little less upbeat.

The snare drum was kind of bugging me a little. Almost like I would like to here it changed up a little, like a rim shot or side stick during the verses or something.

But then again I just had two wisdom teeth yanked today and I'm awfully tired and the pain meds are kind of making my head a little light. I've got to go lay down now an enjoy being high on soaoij;alskdjfozo ; or wha ever the name of this wonderful medication is :D

Nice work

Back