Potential trouble with a Tascam 38

Deaaaath

Hi,
I recently got my Tascam 38 totally serviced, and it has been working and sounding great. However, today I went to go record and when I pushed the Play button the machine would sort of just give out. There'd be this clicking noise and then nothing would happen... the play arm would engage but I couldn't hear the motor (whatever it's called) running. However, if I pressed play and began to spin the take up reel manually the unit would work fine. Should I be very scared?

are you using used tape? If so, then sounds like it might be due to the stickiness of the tape itself than problems with the unit itself, especially if you had it serviced recently. That's my first hunch since a few threads down, you'll see that I had the same exact problem. If it isn't used tape, then I'm sure the more seasoned here will be able to help.

deeeath...do you have detail on what was done when it was serviced?

Like Sonarcade suggested, what tape are you using and where did you get it?

how does the tape path look? clean-clean-clean?

If I understand your OP, the pinch roller engages the tape to the capstan shaft when you hit PLAY, but nothing moves?

If so, is the capstan shaft spinning ( unload the tape, raise the right tension arm and hit PLAY...is the pinch roller turning? Now press STOP while holding up the tension arm...is the capstan shaft spinning? pinch the capstan shaft between your thumb and index finger of your free hand and try to stop it...if its spinning of course...is it super easy to stop it or does it fight you?

Try these things and answer the questions and report back. Together we'll getcha goin.

Hey thanks!
Unfortunately I'm not going to be home for two weeks or so, so I won't be able to do that until then! I'll report back as soon as I can!
thanks

Back