Post Your Analog Recordings Here...

Stogie-D, I just listened to "A Song To My Son" and thought you nailed what you were going for. I can't comment on the fidelity as I only have my Macbook speakers right now, but the vocal performance was really good, especially for doing it to tape without the help of digital to correct pitch etc. I think the lyrics were good, and the delivery felt honest and actually had an impact on me and had me thinking of my relationship (however strained) with my father. 6 hours well spent my friend.

This link will work. This is my master of what might be the lead off song on my debut coming out in March. It's called "Of Course Sick" I recorded it to my Fostex model 80 and mixed it in Logic. I mastered it with Ozone 7 and did about 4 versions until I got this one that I thought had the best presence and character. I've heard it so much though. My own opinion is the guitars could come down a bit. Please take a listen and let me know what you think. Notes appreciated.

https://soundcloud.com/defnder/of-course-sick

Cool!

The fidelity of your recordings is pretty astounding considering they're done on a portastudio.

Thanks
I don't know why it sounds ok, there's often too much hiss/background noise though; everything is recorded in a small bedroom (4,80m x 3,20m with 2,55m ceilings) with rather cheap mics, Shure sm58, Superlux etc. The sm58 was on the acoustic guitar and in front of the amp for the Hohner Pianet

Thanks
I don't know why it sounds ok, there's often too much hiss/background noise though; everything is recorded in a small bedroom (4,80m x 3,20m with 2,55m ceilings) with rather cheap mics, Shure sm58, Superlux etc. The sm58 was on the acoustic guitar and in front of the amp for the Hohner Pianet

Which portastudio do you have again?

Edit: Nevermind. I just saw on your Soundcloud page the picture of the 424. I'm assuming that's the one.

I'm wondering why you often have too much hiss. Do you not use the noise reduction?

The trick to reducing noise during a bounce is to record the original material to the track(s) that are going to be bounced with more high end than they really need. Then you cut the high end during the bounce and, because most tape noise lives in the high frequency region, cut the noise.

I guess, i have tolerant neighbours, but i don't play very loud. But a little too loud sometimes for an appartement i guess. When i play drums, you can meanwhile hold a normal conversation most of the time

@Drspringreverb
I don't think there's too much tape hiss whatsoever. I record on 4-tracks a lot, and I have (had) just about every model that ever came out and some produced more hiss than others for a variety of reasons, but what I'm hearing on your song isn't high. Honestly, it sounds like a normal amount for a recording that has some bounced tracks. I thought that was a really well recorded song.

@Drspringreverb
I don't think there's too much tape hiss whatsoever. I record on 4-tracks a lot, and I have (had) just about every model that ever came out and some produced more hiss than others for a variety of reasons, but what I'm hearing on your song isn't high. Honestly, it sounds like a normal amount for a recording that has some bounced tracks. I thought that was a really well recorded song.

Thanks
Yeah, i guess it's a tolerable noiselevel. The noise adds sometimes though, a little tapehiss, a little mic-preamp hiss, room noises
Doesn't help that i use mostly dynamic and ribbon mics

Stogie-D, I just listened to "A Song To My Son" and thought you nailed what you were going for. I can't comment on the fidelity as I only have my Macbook speakers right now, but the vocal performance was really good, especially for doing it to tape without the help of digital to correct pitch etc. I think the lyrics were good, and the delivery felt honest and actually had an impact on me and had me thinking of my relationship (however strained) with my father. 6 hours well spent my friend.

Thanks. I think that having an impact on the listener may be the most important thing with music. Would love comment on the fidelity if you get a chance to listen on headphones. Fidelity IS the battle fought in recording / mixing.
Fathers won't be around forever. I recently lost mine & am so grateful for having a wonderful relationship with him. I only found out at his service that he was my biggest fan musically speaking.
Patch it up before it's too late. Just sayin.

Here's a Christmas song by my side project Ziggy Zigford and the Zigsters. It's our first song for a couple of years and is recorded all in analogue. Enjoy!!

Back