Possible Monitors/speakers damage. How to know?

jaimech

I just got my first set of Professional Monitors/Speakers and I invested in a nice pair of Focal CMS 65. On the second day of using them I answered a FaceTime call on my iMac and stopped working on my mix. The FaceTime App was at a much lower volume level so I just hit the volume knob on my interface to the maximum level which was just decent for FaceTime. When I finished my call and went for a cup of coffee, very stupidly, I just played the mix I was working on and of course it was at a very high and unbearable volume. It was just a couple of seconds because as soon as the sound came out of the speakers I hit the volume know and turned it down. My question is: as you can imagine now, I am paranoid about if I damaged my beautiful brand new Focal speakers. Is there a way to know, is there a sound test you can do on the speakers?

If they sound ok, they are ok. Step away, let the shock and paranoia wear off and come back and have a listen.
Also, a lot of newer models have a limiter built in to prevent mishaps.

You're probably fine.

Agreed, if you can't hear anything wrong with them, they're probably A-OK.

Within a few weeks of purchasing my Yamaha HS80M monitors (my first actual studio monitors), I was working on a mix and decided to try using ReaVerb and some impulse files on the vocals for the first time. Following some dipshit's tutorial on YouTube, I went through all of the steps, including the step of disabling the -12dB attenuation of the impulse file. All was well until the vocal part came in, and I damn near pissed myself when this overwhelmingly loud rendition of my voice came through the speakers. It was so loud, I could see the woofers travelling over 1" in and out. This was before I had a hardware knob to use as a monitor volume control. It took me several seconds to compose myself enough to use the mouse to click the stop button. After the adrenaline wore off and my ears stopped ringing, I was sooooo paranoid that I'd blown my speakers. Fortunately they were fine. And the next day I set up a mixer in between my interface and my speakers so I'd always have a physical volume knob to use as a panic button!

No doubt, it's probably all good.

THAT SAID -- I'd highly suggest keeping a long sine sweep (20Hz-20kHz) handy for checking - well, just about everything. From your speakers to the space, to loose bolts on your desk or wonky ventilation, L/R calibration of outboard... Far too handy.

Thanks all. I feel a little better and No I have not noticed anything abnormal with my speakers. for ¨Massive Maste¨where can I find a file with said sine sweep to use it and check?

IMHO ----This is exactly why your music computer should be for that purpose and that purpose only. Strip any other applications from that computer, turn off anything OS based that is not music related.....including itunes. Just to be safe and to preserve your mixing/recording environment.

There's one included in REW. Find it here. Good to hear no real damage. I was running a guitar signal through Amplitube loud enough to make it feed back sweetly through my M8-3s and then immediately played back without thinking about the volume level...We've probably all done something similar. :)

Back