Possible dumb MIDI question

esactun

I've never used MIDI, but would like to use some of the samples in my card for upcoming projects. Is it possible to record (or in the worst case, export) sampled sound to a .wav without running a line out and then back in (lossy)? Or can one recommend a cheap/shareware/freeware MIDI sequencer?

Ok, this is a really confusing post.

Just get a few things straight: MIDI and audio are 2 completely different things. Do a search on this forum about it: I'm sure it has been explained in a lot of threads. Midi is just a kind of 'code language' that gives commands to machines.

Can you please specify what you exactely intend to do with your samples? Because I really can't figure out what you mean by this.

What meant to I say...

Yeah, I know that MIDI and audi are two different things... (and that many others are confused by this). I took too many shortcuts in writing the post...

What I want to do is take some of the samples in my card and use them without special MIDI software. So I'd like to either get SF to record the sounds created by the MIDI triggered samples (which have to come out of the sound card to the speakers), essentially getting the MIDI audio out (not the code out, the actual sound) to go into SF. That is, without hooking up a cord from my speaker output to go back into the mic input (D/a, then A/d, oh the loss!...). Or even export the samples from the card to .wav files.

Is this any clearer? I do get the impression that I'm seeking the impossible, but I have a nice sequencing program that takes samples in .wav and doesn't use MIDI instruments. If I had .wavs of the samples, I could use them there.

Maybe I am an idiot, but I still can't understand what you want to do :D.

When you talk about samples I think about little audio fragments, so .wav files standard. You can trigger them with an external midi controller or midi software. But you talk about 'samples' in another form. Please someone help me out:)

There is a Midi Sample Dump format if your equipment supports it. It will transfer the sample via midi.

you say samples on your card. Do you mean on your sound card?

Back