Positive or negative?

Me myself & him

I'm new to wiring, I'm not sure what part of the speaker wire is negative and which is positive, one looks copper and the other looks silver, but I'm sure they're both the same thing.

Which one do I connect to the tip of the 1/4" connector, and which one to the ring?

It doesn't matter -- pick the polarity of either and keep it consistent when it's wired to the amp. (ie, if you chose copper as negative, then make sure the copper strand is wired to the negative speaker connection on the amp)

My bigger concern is why you're connecting it to 1/4"????

OK... in this case, 1/4' is fine -- I was worried you were mismatching line-level INs/OUTs with speaker-level INs/OUTs......

In the case of 1/4" jacks, you DO need to know what the polarity of the tip and sleeve is to wire it correctly....

If you can't get the spec, one way to check is to send a kick drum beat to the connected speaker -- if the excursion moves inward first, then the polarity is inverted and you need to switch the tip and sleeve wire connections... (normally, the speaker excursion will be outward on the beat of a kick... )

Yo Bear & Triple Pronoun person:

Bear, he lives in AREA 51 and the magnetic fields from the flying saucers may screw up his polarity?

I couldn't resist.

Green Hornet :D :p :p

Hey!! that was funny... I even liked that one.

But actually, they haven't messed around with magnetic propulsion since that pilot got....... nevermind.

Thanks Bear, I tried out your suggestion and it worked.

Last edited:
Back