Positioning a(MIDI) piano in a mix

Humbucker

I'm currently recording an instrumental track, with the lead melody being played on electric guitar. I have recorded a MIDI piano track which is the main backing for the melody, there is also drums and a rhythm acoustic guitar in there. Before, I have usually positioned a piano track central in the mix but I was wondering where some of you guys position piano tracks. I often pan rhythm guitar tracks hard left and right but have never tried this with piano tracks. I'm in an experimental and learning stage recording wise so will obviously be doing a lot of trial and error with various things but was just wondering what you guys do with your piano/keyboard tracks. :)

Humbucker said:
I'm currently recording an instrumental track, with the lead melody being played on electric guitar. I have recorded a MIDI piano track which is the main backing for the melody, there is also drums and a rhythm acoustic guitar in there. Before, I have usually positioned a piano track central in the mix but I was wondering where some of you guys position piano tracks. I often pan rhythm guitar tracks hard left and right but have never tried this with piano tracks. I'm in an experimental and learning stage recording wise so will obviously be doing a lot of trial and error with various things but was just wondering what you guys do with your piano/keyboard tracks. :)

I try to use stereo piano samples where possible. To me, a piano, like an acoustic guitar, just doesn't sound right in mono.

Depending on which way the piano (keyboard) is facing. I normally pan it to the northeast. If I use stereo pianos I don't worry about the pan at all unless it is a Tuesay,in which case I use a De-esser.

*Joking Above*

You can either try and pan it out of the way of the guitar or use eq. Those two instruments can be all over each others registers.

Dittos for the stereo piano sample.

Cool, thanks for your replies :) . I'm interested in hearing more experiences/thoughts on mixing MIDI pianos if possible. Many thanks. :)

I'm not positive what you mean by MIDI piano. Is it just a midi controller playing a piano patch?

In any case, it will be better if it's a stereo track. Stereo piano tracks pan much nicer than mono ones.

Alexbt said:
I'm not positive what you mean by MIDI piano. Is it just a midi controller playing a piano patch?

In any case, it will be better if it's a stereo track. Stereo piano tracks pan much nicer than mono ones.

Yeah, I'm playing a sample of a bright Steinway with my MIDI controller.

I could be wrong, but I remember reading somewhere that panning a stereo piano track creates minor phase issues...

I am also wondering where you would place a piano in the mix. I'm in a band w/ a piano, distorted guitar, bass, and drums. usually i just pan the guitar left and piano right, but lately i've been doubling the guitar, panning those left and right, and leaving piano in center, which seems to be working well. Any other suggestions?

Back