portable recording device - divide the stereo into 2 tracks? how?

MkII

Hi everyone out there. i have a portable "old" recording device. you can put in a 6.3mm jack for a left and right in-line. so basically record in stereo. I'm attending to use it then i drive my motorcycle and put on of the mic near the exhaust system and one near my mouth for talking when i record videos while driving.

My Question is: Can i later adjust volume of right and left recording in some smart program? or do i need to test and test many times to set the right volume when recording?

Thanks for answers
Jesper

Well, splitting a stereo track into dual mono is standard stuff in the vast majority of DAWs so that shouldn't be a problem.

And, yes, you can then adjust the volume separately.

However, from this point onwards we can't give a definite answer about what happens with the two different levels. It may work okay but it may be that the differences in level are just too far apart. If the mic near the exhaust gets into clipping, you can't fix that later. Or, if you adjust levels so the exhaust mic is okay, the mic near your mouth may be a level low enough for the noise floor to become an issue. To be a bit more informed, we'd need to know the make and model of your recording device and also get an idea of the relative levels coming from the two positions.

...or you can just try it and see how it goes!

Back