Portable Firewire advice

fasterthanu

Hi,

I'm looking at buying a fairly portable firewire solution. I'll be using it potentially with my Mac, Pc, and Laptops using SX3. I want something fairly easy to move about. Two that i've seen are the Mackie Onyx Satellite and the Focusrite Saffire LE. The drawback with the Focusrite for me is that i already use a Platinum trackmaster and would like to have have some different sounding. Has anyone any experience with these units? Can anyone give my any alternative recommendations.

regards
J Mack

Presonus Firebox (which I own) or Presonus FirePod.

MOTU Traveler (which I also own) or MOTU Ultralite.

One of the Echo Audiofire series would probably suit you needs as well.

I don't like the Mackie because the satellite unit doesn't have midi.

The Saffire looks pretty good, but I haven't used it. For me, the form factor of the unit I mentioned earlier is more appealing. i.e. low and flat as opposed to a unit that stands up like that. Just works better for me.

The Traveler has a lot more I/O than the saffire, and for that reason I prefer it by far. Four preamps, 8 analog I/O, SPDIF and AES. I suspect it also costs more though.

The Firebox is great for me also because it is so small and portable. Plus it has midi and SPDIF I/O. It also sounds really good.

All these units have slight differences to their feature set, so you should look carefully at what they offer and think carefully about what you really need and how you plan to work. I chose my interfaces based on *my* needs and you should choose yours based on your needs. That is as important as feature sets.

Back