Portable Digital Vocal Recording

Phlaw

I will be recording A Cappella groups (vocals only). And am deciding which recorder to buy, I need to be able to record 4-6 tracks at once. I was at first looking at the Korg D8, but you can only record 2 tracks at a time. I am on a budget.

Any info would be great.

I have also looked at the Fostex VR800 & Korg D12.

Thanks

phlaw@lycos.com

Just a thought ...

... but if you're recording a'capella groups anyway, wouldn't you just record live, in stereo?
To record the 'sound' of a vocal group accurately you could set up a couple of decent condenser mic's in a stereo pattern in a reasonable room, and you would only need to record 2 tracks at a time (a la KorgD8.)
You can still tweak the recording later, EQ, reverb, etc.

just my 2 cents.

Macca

I actually am recording a group live at a concert. I will be plugging directly into their board. I use to use a Tascam DAT, but it was only left & right, plus it was too much of a pain to transfer from DAT to my computer.

Well, if you really need to record multiple tracks and you are on a budget, try looking at a used Roland VS machine. The quality is better than Fostex, the owner will probably have lost the largely useless Roland manual, and there is a great deal of information about these units on the net. New price is about $1,000. Used prices vary depending on the doodads, but eBay has had them for about $500 - $600. Roland loves to use proprietary hardware. Grrr.

I'm trying to figure out the same kind of question, although I could do with a couple of tracks at a time; I'm really trying to set up a guitar / piano / vocal self study device of sorts. But having the ability to record someone else's gig would be a plus. Gotta learn this stuff somehow.

The VS-Planet site has a dedicated BBS of Roland folks. Here's a page you might be interested in.

www.vsplanet.com/Pages/Products/VS880EX/Specs/specs.html

But don't forget to come home when you're done...:D

Ditto the vote VS.

Also, there are at least four dedicated preamplified (without phantom power) inputs into the VS. From what I remember, you can use some other inputs on it, but I haven't looked into it because I've never needed more than four.

Matt

Ok, that link reminded me that later models have at least six inputs. You can get the late models cheap enough. Be sure you don't get an ancient one (like mine) with four inputs and non-lighted display (very annoying) unless you get a great deal.

Crap. I should buy that one and put my own up on eBay. :)

Eh.

Matt

Back