Portable Digital Recorder

Phlaw

I am looking for a portable digital recorder/mixer. Multitrack, has to record at least 4 channels simultaneously. I am leaning towards the Tascam 788, what do you guys think?

I am trying to stay in that price range (Under $800).

phlaw@lycos.com

I just got a 788 a couple of days ago, so I have to admit being biased. :)

Really though, from a price/performance standpoint, there's really not a lot out there than can compete with it for recording up to six simultaneous inputs in 24 bit audio.

I also like the fact that it has 250 freely assignable virtual tracks, good documentation, and a dedicated user forum supported by Tascam itself.

Another plus is that the Tascam has tweaked and upgraded the OS consistently, and that they are about to release the next version, 2.0.

On the downside, there is no built-in CDW, or digital input (though it does have a digital out). If you plan on getting a CDW for it, you HAVE to use a TEAC CD-W512S CDW. You just can't use any SCSI CDW and be able to back up and record directly to CD using the recorder's OS.

While the retail version of the CDRW788 is expensive (about 359.95) you can save approx. 150.00 off the retail by buying the bare drive and external case and putting it together yourself.

hope this helps,

-bruce

Back