Porta One pooper

ClifarQ

I have a vintage porta one. All OK, except for tape transport. When I punch PLAY or RECORD, with or without a cassette in place, the process begins momentarily, then goes back to neutral, just like it would do if there were at tape reaching the end of one side and automatically stopping. Internally, the puck at the base of the "take-up" post is not engaging...like it needs a spring adjustment. Any thoughts?

That type of Tascam is highly mechanical.

Your best bet might be Tascam Service. They could fix it, for sure.

Also, I have a couple of Porta Ones in various states of repair. If I get a chance, I'll look around in there for clues. Also, the Porta One is highly mechanical, but it still could be the belt, FWIW, and it should not be ruled out. There's a little more to it than that, I'm afraid, with the mechanical cassette mechanism.;)

MEMBER REEL (AMONG OTHERS HERE) ARE VERY EXPERIENCED AND I'M WITH HIM ON THE BEST BET BEING TAKING IT TO AN AUTHORIZED TASCAM REPAIR PERSON.

With that said...

Your problem might be caused by something else, but I had the same thing happening (Rolls for a second then just "Auto" stops with or without a tape.) on my 80's PORTA TWO and it frustrated the piss out of me till I found the problem and actually fixed it myself!!!

It's sort of hard to describe it without my machine apart, but I'll try. The problem with mine was the black plastic "Block" that the heads sit on had cracked somehow. Beneath this head "Block" is a molded recess that a spring (Which I can't describe, but it's not a regular spring per se. ) sits in providing tension to something (?).... I'm not sure I'd suggest trying it, but I VERY carefully took the heads off (After making a sketch and list of which screw went where and the washers too) then super glued this "block" back together in a clamp, letting it dry overnight.
Then I put the spring back in the recess and like had tension on it while I re-fastened the "block" back down to the machine....
Then another very careful reassembly and that was it.
I freaked out when it worked!!!

There was another common break down scenario which was a $150 lesson for me. It's when the heads won't retract when you hit Stop or Play or anything! In my case (the usual) a tape was in the machine at the time. I had it fixed by a repair person, but the same thing happened about a year later. The cure (Which I'm sure everyone here knows) was to CAREFULLY get the tape out SOMEHOW...I had to very carefully drill into the tape till I could pull it out in broken pieces, then after unscrewing the case halves I ACCIDENTLY (Scared the hell out of me! LOL ) turned the large "Belt drum" either forward or backward a bit till "Click" the tape heads retracted manually and presto, it was fine!!!
I've done it on friends machines too, but some are a pain in the ass to get back together. The only reason I attempted these repairs myself was that I figured the cost to buv a new machine with pretty much the same features was about the same as the repair cost... I had nothing to lose.

Last edited:
spring's the thing

Thanks Billy,
I think, I HOPE, you are right-on. I spent the morning concentrating on tracing down the problem source. I think that SPRING is what helps thrust the carriage forward that enables the tape "take up post" to reel up the slack tape. I think it also keeps pressure of the pinch roller against the capstan. My "block" was intact, but the spring had somehow popped out of position...it did seem bent. I have ordered a new spring along with new pulleys. I should be up and running in a week. The reason I want to repair this old gal is her very good mechanism compared to what's being pruduced today...much more rugged with a better flywheel to smooth out flutter. Again, thanks for the help and the kind reply. cq

I hope it works out for you 'cus I know the feeling of a sick machine all to well. I can understand giving the older machines every fighting chance too. I just couldn' t go on without the VU meters of my Porta 2. :)

Tascam Porta One Pooper, Chapter 2

Hello Billy.
I tried exactly what you suggested, but the black block cracked again. I think because there is too much tension on the spring, so I lessened the tension by tightening the coil of the spring. I have the block re-super glued and in a clamp (overnight per your suggestion). I'll try again tomorrow. If the glue doesn't work I'll order a new block from Teac. This thing has become quite an obsession. I look upon it now as one would who restores antique cars, etc. I bought a new Tascam MF P01 for just $80, but ya get what ya pay for, alright. The workmanship on the cassette mechanism alone sucks. I don't think it even has a decent flywheel. So I'll start biting into my social security check to get an adequate 4 track, but this time I go digital and must have those sliding attenuators. Any suggestions?

It's interesting that your block was cracked after all.
Hang in there man and take it slow is the best advise I can give you. (At first I over glued mine and it didn't take, but just enough glue did the trick.) I know it's frustrating work, but you should be able to get it.. (I did and I'm not good at that sort of thing at all... If you get pissed, just set it aside and come back to it later.) As far as the digital multi-tracks go I've never used one, so I can't give any recomendations, but I'm sure tons of folks here can help you with that.

BILLY

My friend, please restore your Porta One.

That gear is classic, you know.

Also, do yourself a favor, while you're becoming frustrated. Pls go back to Ebay, and score a mint-246, avg about $175, and you will not be disappointed. Also, with normal & high speeds, the 246 is backward compatible with the tapes made on the Porta One.

Having a Porta One is one of the coolest things, & one of the coolest little units, but pairing that up with the full-featured 246, you really have yourself a real THING there, with BOTH.

I don't doubt you can fix the Porta One, but the 246 will ENHANCE your 4-tracking experience MANY TIMES OVER, and is an especially nice unit to pair with the Porta One.

The prices on this gear keeps dropping steadily, too, and mint pieces can still be found.;)

The fact that the Porta One can run on "C" batteries is a really great feature that I use when I go out into the" real" (as opposed to "reel") world to collect sound effects.

Last edited:
No doubt, battery op and strap buttons were some of the coolest features,...

which is ideal for "field" recording, as they used to call it.

That's one feature-set that will only be found on the Porta One and Porta Two.;)

Gosh Billy,...

You hit that one on the head!

The Porta One has push-button VU-lights in battery-op mode, and the VU meters are illuminated constantly when AC adaptor is used.

Hey, nice guesswork!;)

Porta Pooper un-pooped!

Thanks to all for helping get my Porta One patched up, especially Billy's solution. The super-glued black block worked this time as I lessened the spring tension underneath. It's running like new. Now I gotta align the heads without an alignment tape, but I think I can make one by recording a 6kc tone on each of the 4 tracks of my stereo tapedeck. Sure feels good when all turns out well. Aloha

The Porta One's a cool little unit, the likes of which you may never see again.

Anyway, I have three of them. I'll get another one, if the price is right!;)

Personally,

I'm, waiting until he collects four ATR80-24's and then I'm gonna take a ride up to sunny, (smoggy) southern California and knock on his back door................er......................front door and make him an offer he hopefully, won't refuse!!:cool:

Dead presidents have no enemies!:D

Yeah, I've been scoping ATR-80/24's, for about a year and a half!

There was one nice one for about $4500, complete with remote/autolocator, and several other accessories,... I believe at least one has sold from out of the LA area. Anyway, that was a good deal that someone got. I'm sure there will be another reasonable ATR-80/24 that floats up from the LA-media-complex, someday in the near future.

Anyway, about a week & a half ago, during my indecisive days last week, a MINT-IN-BOX/Used-for-one-project MS-16, complete with dbx, rack & remote, PLUS about 32-1"-REELS OF TAPE, PUS 1" SPLICING AND LEADER TAPE, A COMPLETE 1"-16-TRACK SOLUTION, [less mixer], auctioned off for about $1850. Believe me, I was really dying to be on that one! But, to win, I'd estimate kicking it just over $2000, total. Last week, I hedged about popping for 2K, and now, in retrospect, I probably wouldn't have minded, considering what great condition that unit was in, PLUS about $500+ in tapes! Oh well, there's always next time!

-----------------

OKAY, OKAY!

I've got another BRAINSTORM going,
re: MODIFYING THE TASCAM 388 to 15ips!

YES! I'll work on that SOON, and report back to you later.

HINT: I'm just going to use one of my 388's as an experimental bed to just CRANK UP THE CAPSTAN SPEED, to 15ips, AND readjust the EQ curve, as necessary. I just thought of this the other night, and I said, sure, if the motor speed circuit will crank up that high, why not! I'll try this, and report back later. Don't any of you talking heads tell me it can't be done, either! Anyway, that was always a technical upgrade that 388 people were always looking for,... 15ips operation,... so now I'm ready to try it!

C'ya!

Back