Porastudio 424 mixing four tracks

f-holes

Can the 424 record 4 individual tracks, one at a time, then mix those 4 down to a stereo recorder, or device. Like an honest to goodness 4 channel reel recorder. I have used the 424 in the past, as well as I can get around it. You can talk to me like a 60 year old, I like analog controls and watching tape move. I have a manual. Thanks.

That is pretty much what it was designed for.;) I haven't used mine in a while, but once you get your 4 tracks down, you will set your levels, panning, eq, and any effects, then play it into a stereo cassette deck, computer, or whatever you plan on mixing it down to. You will simply use the main outs to go to the mixdown deck/device.

Thanks, then if I understand correctly, I could be a "one-man band" recording four distinct tracks, individually, at different times (without overdubbing or ping-ponging). It also sounds like I could record a live band with four mics, having four completly independent tracks to mix down.

Pretty much, yeah. If you wanted to venture into bouncing tracks, you could have a stereo mixdown. It's a little tricky, but you could put drums on two tracks, guitar with a chorus/delay/flanger/etc. on two tracks, a bass on one track, etc. You would just have to plan ahead a little bit to know in what order your were going to record things and how the bouncing would affect your tracking.;)

I am on my last nerve. I have a cheap mini portasound (no ponging) and a 414, both of them, I can record each track by itself, then mix down. The 424 won't do it. I can't keep it from always combining 1 and 2. For sure I am doing something wrong, or it is broke. Any ideas? Thanks.

Back