Pops, looping clips

Yadi

I tried a search in this forum but came up with nothing.

Problem: I'd like to make some "groove clips" for looping. Specifically, I would like to take a repetitive bass line or guitar part, say the "verser" and turn it into a clip. When I do this, and try to paste it repetitively, I am getting the clicks/pops because of the different amplitudes. I know that I need to edit these so they join at "zero crossing". Are there any tricks to doing this? I've read the manual and the SONAR POWER book and can't find anything helpful. Can a special, as in fast, crossfade be applied that could go undetected?

You could open the clip in a wave-editor (or use Sonar, it's not easy but it works) and use fade in at the beginning, and fade out at the end. We're talking very little time to fade in or out, just a few millisecons...

You can also make the clip a little longer at each end, and use the automate crossfade-function...

And short question: If you want a repetitive bass line, why not just use GrooveClips... Select a clip, press Ctrl+L, and drag the end at the clip to the desired length...

In the manual, wow, you're right, I can't find any indexed reference to it...

But in SONAR Power!, it's on page 142-143.

It's a setting in the Snap to Grid dialog box, named Snap to Audio Zero Crossings. Just enable it.

groove clips

This may sound stupid but aren't groove clips essentially "loops" in Sonar? But I think I know what you are saying....once the loop/groove-clip has been fixed for zero amplitude at the start and end, I could simply drag it out, similar to Acid?

AlChuck, I recall seeing that section in Sonar Power, but it wasn't real clear to me....and if you can believe it: I was looking for the Snap to Grid button for another reason....it must have taken me a 1/2 to find it. LOL.......I'm so in the dark right now..

Well??

I have to admit I am using PA 9.0 but assuming the snap to zero is the same or close??? I still get pops here and there.
I find using crossfade is the best way to avoid this. I cut a larger piece than I need, over lap and cross fade. there are different crossfade setting to mess with that can be helpfull. You can have them cross at the middle, begining or end of the over lap. I do believe that all of them work only with in the over lapping area. So a fast cross fade is dependent on the amount of over lap.

Then again I could be all wet.

Later

F.S.

I just realized through trial and error that all the fading in and fading out won't help you when the dang CD player in my puter produces it's own low amplitude pops just to annoy the shit outta me. :mad: Here I was, thinking "I just can't do jack-shit about this". Then I had a brilliant idea. Just as the experts say play your demo's in boom boxes, home stereo systems, car stereos, to see how well you mixed your "cake".........that's just what I did. Fucking seamless as shit! Sounds great! Dang puter CD player with it's sneaky pops blows! (By the way, I am only referring to audio recording)

There..........I feel much better. :D :D :D

Back