Popping sounds?

Ledmech

I was just wondering if anyone had ever got crackling and popping sounds during playback. I know I've got a crappy soundcard but I am buying another one within the week. I want to make sure the new card won't make those same noises. The popping sound pretty much constant anytime I play any sound on my comp. It clicks about once a second.

I've got a soundblaster card, (which actually makes pretty good recordings....minus the damn pops) running on a 1200mhz athlon T-bird. I've even tried the onboard sound....same clicking :(

No programs are running except system tray and explorer. I'm about to buy that audigy card everyone keeps talking about and I wanna make sure I dont get the same things happening as now.

Any ideas? Thanx in advance

When I first bought my delta card, I was getting nasty popping sounds from it. The soundblaster before it worked fine. In the end it turned out to be a problem with the motherboard, via chipset. Solution; buy a new computer :D.

Make sure the soundcard you buy is nicely compatible with your mobo before you buy it, if you want to avoid this kindof hassle.

Definately try what the sk8in snoman said tho, increase your buffers first off.

I don't think its my comp as its fairly new. I bought an ASUS mobo cause I thought they were one of the best out there. (bought it about a year ago) Although it does have the VIA chipset :(

I'm about to try the buffer size thing but, where do I change the buffer..........
Is there a setting for the sound card or do I just change it in the program I am using at the time?

The reason I ask is because the popping is pretty constant. When I play MP3's, comp games, record.......you name it...if it makes a noise, it pops about once a second. I would just hate it if I bought a nice new sound card and it still did the same thing.
I would probobly ruin my new acoustic when I beat the hell outta the computer :P

The programs I've tried are just demos cause I want to try them before I buy.......I'm leaning towards Cakewalk but I would like to get this fixed before I annoy everyone in the Cakewalk forum :)

thanx guys

Buffer settings should be in the preferences sectiion somewhere, I dont have cakewalk experience so i cant tell you exactly where. It should be in the cakewalk program yes.

A funny thing happened awhile back when I updated drivers for my onboard sound on my ASUS mobo. It started making popping crappy noises, no matter what I was playing. Luckily with the XP OS, I was able to roll back the drivers and all is well again.

So alongside with the advice formentioned, make sure you have updated the latest drivers, and if they are the culprit roll them back.

Back